Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

USDA Prime Brisket

Options
Steve-B
Steve-B Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a USDA Prime brisket for this weekend. Do these really take a lot less time than a choice one does. Is it normally a lower temp when it is done (ie the "fork test")? Will a dome temp of 250* be okay. My first one came out great, but I am a little confused on the "prime" twist for this one. [p]Steve-B

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Steve-B,the prime designation almost always means the meat has a more marbled fat content.When you cook a NY STRIP, this fine marbling holds water better than lower fat meat and results in a more tender and juicier outcome when it is cooked at a high temperature(short cook) and served medium rare.I don't believe that a low and slow cooked meat would have
    much difference between low and high grades of briskett as the fat content is maxed out for either.I doubt you could tell the difference. The "cow " was sold for the more expensive steak cuts and the fact it was certified prime is irrellevant with respect to this cut of meat.Save your money.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Q-BALL,
    I saw a photo of a prime brisket cut open and it definitely had more marbleing than any choice brisket I've ever had. Maybe RumRunner can chime in on this?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    We have cooked lots of prime brisket. They are fast, maybe an average of one hour per pound. [p]Enjoy!
  • Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Q-BALL,
    Under normal circumstances I would of never paid for prime. I had called and had them hold a choice for me, but when I arrived it was gone. So they gave it to me for the choice price. [p]Steve-B

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Q-BALL,
    I respectfully disagree. I've seen/done select, choice and prime briskets and I'd take a prime any day! The meat is better quality across the board, whether you're cooking the tenderloin or the toenails.
    I see the prime grading in the opposite light that you do.. to me, if an animal is raised in a manner where it's muscle groups are less worked in order to encourage inter-muscular fat development, major muscle groups such as the legs and chest (home of our friend, the brisket!!) will be the ones to benefit MOST, not least, from this approach. The result; great steaks and roasts, as you mention, but awesome leg and chest cuts too!
    The Woo Dog has brought to our gatherings some amazing prime briskets that had that nice 'squiggly' map of fat throughout and they cooked faster and were substantially better in flavor than any select or choice we've ever done.
    I'd say .75-1 hr/lb at 225-250 versus 1.5-2 hrs per lb select or choice. I believe you WILL notice the difference and you WILL get your money's worth, but I definitely hope that Steve-B will post his own results and feedback.
    Qfan

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    ButterfliedBrisket.jpg
    <p />Hey Doug, I'm home for lunch and saw your post.
    This is a 5 lb. butterflied prime flat.[p]Steve, I think you will find that they do cook faster than choice. As for your questions on temp and finish.... 250 will be fine but I like to go lower these days to 210-225. And when you think it's close to finished, poke it with your probe..... when it slides in and out like butter, it's done.[p]Good Luck and let us know how it turned out.... back to work!
    John

• Fairalbion
    Fairalbion Posts: 141
    Options
    Steve-B,
    Where can you buy prime briskets? I think I've only ever seen Choice or Select in butchers, grocery stores etc. (I'm in the Atlanta area)

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Yeah, that's the photo I was thinking of. Thanks!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • YankeeBBQ
    YankeeBBQ Posts: 97
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]I'm sitting here wondering why this picture of raw beef is making me salivate. I think I have a problem. Does anyone have the number for a BBQ rehab group ? [p]Steve
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    YankeeBBQ,[p]Yeah, folks really think I've gone over the edge when I sit there and say what an incredibly pretty piece of meat that is...![p]We're all afflicted!
    Tonia
    :~)

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    QBabe,
    No kidding...I looked at that picture and just wished I had a chunk of meat that pretty to cook up. It looks like it would really cook up nice![p]Mike in MN