Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RD Argentenian Lump Issues

Options
glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been buying Royal Oak lump at Wal Mart and/or RD, lately Wal Marts been out and I've been primarily using RD royal oak which is made in argentenia.

I've been noticing that it pops, crackles, and puts off a dusting of ash on everything I cook. I let it burn off the smoke before cooking, but it seems to pop/crackle throughout the entire cook.

Any way to get around this? I plan to stock up on USA RO once I find it, but I had like 3 bags of this and would rather not throw it out.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    It works better below 350. But still would only use it as a last resort, or maybe use it for lo/slo only and even then mixed with NA stuff.

just my two pence.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i have been a fairly vocal detractor of the south american lump regardless of brand.. i had couple of bags. i used one for cleaning the egg, it does get hot and put the other bag by the street with a sign that said "free to a good home , housebroken and good with children" someone took it B)
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    have you tried low and slow with it? i've had some REALLY poppy stuff (natures grilling mesquite & hardwood blend come to mind) that I don't like to cook high heat with.

as for bill:
    I cook with the paraguayan RO fairly regularly as an everyday charcoal, and I happen to like it, it gets hot, burns nice, and has a sweet aroma to it. I've cooked with great success both low and slow. It is NOT as good as RO USA though, but its around the same price. I went through about 200lbs of it this past year, and aside from the occasional rock or concrete chunk, its clean too.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i had plastic in my first batch and did not notice till it was burning so i got off to a bad start with the smell and i don't like the sweet smell.. but that is just my taste,, humphries is my favorite
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    how about mixing the argentinian with the American. less popping?