Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining

Hook
Hook Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need help, have brined several chickens and no mater what I do they are too salty. First time I tried I used 4 qts of water, 1 cup honey, some pickling spice, put chicks in brine for 8 hours. Have cut the salt to 1/4 cup and the time down to 4 hours. Still salty. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Hook,[p]Brine for a shorter period of time... I brine whole chickens (4 lb range) for a about an hour to 90 min no more. The base brine is 1/4 cup salt per quart of water and whatever other flavoring(s) you want to add....[p]After brining rinse the meat off, pat dry and do as you will rubwise.[p]Actully my favorite simple brine is 1 qt water, 1/4 cup salt and 2 crushed cloves of garlic. Quick, easy and tasty.[p]If you like your skin crispy... after brining, washing, drying the bird put it back in the fridge uncovered for a few hours to allow the skin to dry out before applpying rub and cooking.[p]ALso, there are different guidelines for the type of salt you use.[p]For stanard table salt its 1/4 cup per quart
    Mortons Kosher salt its 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon per quart
    Diamond kosher salt its 1/4 cup plus 2 T per quart.[p]Cheers, [p]Brian

• Hook,
    Remember most commercial chickens (and pork) come in a brine like solution. Check the outside of your chicken packages. Most are packed in a 10% saline solution. You might try reducing your salt by a similar amount.[p]Just a thought.
    Doug

• Hook
    Hook Posts: 11
    Smoked Signals,
    You are right really never thought of that, most all are injected with something.

• Hook,
    I've heard most of the comments on how to brine and the approach I use is based on an article in Cook's Illustrated (November/December 2001 issue). I have never been disdappointed with the results. And they have never been too salty. Note that you can add additional spices or flavorings to this basic approach. I put up a summary of that article on my web site (see below). Give it a try.[p]Also, as others have pointed out, make sure you start with an unbrined bird. I never buy any meat that is already brined.

[ul][li]Brinning-Cook's Illustrated[/ul]
  • Jacke,
    Ok, I munged up the url. Let me try again.

[ul][li]Brining - Cook's Illustrated[/ul]