Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg good vs good for you

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sitting for the second day in a hospital bed feeling better than anyone
in this place. Being told that I cannot eat everything I want just because I always
have.
My question is that several weeks ago on forum it was said pulled pork
was not bad as the amount of time and low cooking gets rid of the
high fat in it. Was that a true statement?
If any of you had to give up the pleasure of eating everything egged
that tast good, what do you egg now to keep wife (married to an RN) and Dr happy?
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

What the heck you doing there, and are you OK?

If I knew more about nutrition (and followed it) I would probably be in a lot better situation than I am in right now.

I am thinking fish, beans, lean cuts of meat - sparingly I guess, chicken/turkey. Brauts, hot dogs, grilled cheese sandwiches, grilled tuna sandwiches - well maybe not this last sentence.

Get better and get out of there. It is dangerous in those places.

Kent
  • Mickey
    Options
    TIA's Kent. They think I was caught early enough. Saying before today's
    tests get back should be ok by dropping weight and start eating right (real bard part) and exersize. That is the reason for the post, what do people eat under that
    discripition?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Nothing is really bad for you in moderation....remember a portion of Ribs is two ribs...not the whole rack (that's where I always go wrong)....

fish is great on the egg, just watch what you put on it...pulled pork is not that bad, until you drown it in sauce and coleslaw....

a portion of beef is a little smaller than your fist...funny how we usually eat two or more times that...

I'm not preaching, as I don't follow all of this...I will say I tried Weight Watchers online, I lost fifty Five and put 20 back on, but am holding steady now over a year later, and will attempt to lose the rest this year....

Their program really did teach me a lot about nutrition and portion sizes, as opposed to completely cutting out foods which never works for me...

I now really follow the program for most of the week (subconciously even as it became a lifestyle change), and have a cheat meal once or twice (allowing me to eat that whole slab :evil: , along with regular exercise...weights down, blood pressure and cholesterol saw huge improvements as well.....

The egg is great for cooking healthy food, juicy chicken, planked fish, grilled veggies, turkey....
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    I agree that moderation is very important. Also, lots of "healthy" foods can taste fantastic if cooked correctly. Of course, it helps if you're not a picky eater too.

Nowdays, it's easier to find leaner cuts of pork, and of course there's chicken & fish.

I really need to do a better job of eating better too, so you're not alone here. Hope you get better soon.
  • LoneStarEgg
    Options
    You need to get out of there, there are sick people in hospitals. I hope you get to feeling better and go home soon. Best wishes.
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    I tried a method for cooking beans I saw here a few days ago. It could not have been easier and I think it was pretty health.

Put dry beans (black, pinto, red, kidney, white, pink, etc.) in a dutch oven on the stove. Heat until boiling. Transfer the DO to the oven or BGE set at 250. Cook for 75 - 90 minutes.

I used a smoked pork hock to add flavor to the black beans I cooked, but you can add flavor other ways. Add some onion, garlic, carrot, celery, spices, or whatever sounds good to the mix and you will have an easy hearty, healthy, low fat, high fiber meal or side.

Best of luck to you!
  • Mickey
    Options
    My problem is I have always dropped that part you eat and finished hed
    the rest. You guys are correct on the sizeing, that's what wife and Doc
    are saying.
    I guess if I can get enough of the right sized portions (like 4) you
    could get a meal.

• Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    I understand completely. Whenever I'm eating something that I really like I have a tendency to eat more than I should. When I have been able to stick with eating the right sized portions, and get some exercise, I've had no problem keeping the weight in check.

Also, I'll eat just about anything so it's not as difficult to find something I like.
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    mickey my suggestion is go see a nutritionist/dietician!

Mine did wonders for me - and my healthcare paid for it. If your healthcare wont pay for it, send the bill to obama ;);)

mine did wonders for teaching my portion sizes. Its been a little tough at first, seeing as I can down a 16oz steak and be looking for scraps. I've had a couple cheat meals in the last few months, new years, superbowl, and valentines day party.

I learned stuff too: Whole grains are DELICIOUS! I always thought boneless skinless chicken breasts as boring girl food, but i've learned to butterfly them and cook them direct at 400deg, keeps em juicy and delicious (also because the chicken breasts you get at the grocery store ARENT 4-5oz...they are *10* oz monsters., butterfly it, eat half, save the rest for tomorrow's lunch salad)

feel free to email me, I have tons of good tips.
  • Beernuts
    Options
    I also lost a bunch of weight on weight watchers a couple of years ago (35 pounds), have kept most of it off, and use my egg 2 -3 times a week - lots of skinless chicken thighs and skinless drumsticks smoked or direct with all the different rubs available - its a new meal every time

turkey burgers (with the lean meat) are great on the egg

also cook a lot of pork tenderloin and flank steak (marinated in fat free salad dressing) - occassionally cook fish - all pretty good for you and all great on the egg

then, once a month or so its a butt, or ribs, or burgers - not gonna lie, I love those times :P
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Mickey, I'm so sorry to hear about your hospitalization. :(

I would agree that is is most important for you to meet with a registered dietican or nutritionist. As others have said portion control is important, but so is increasing vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and excercising.

That being said, it is still hard for me to walk the talk. However, I wish to offer you encouragement on this endeavor.

Hope they spring you soon! :)
  • Eggerman1
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your situation.

Pork tenderloin, chicken, cornish hens, buffalo burgers, fish (trout, halibut, salmon). The trick is changing it up rather than just doing a boring pork tenderloin, like stuff the tenderloin or with the chicken, marinate it longer. The buffalo burgers, if you can find lean buffalo meat, taste just like real fatty meat.

I agree either see a nutritionist or pick up a nutritional book, there are plenty out there, and they walk you through everything.

Some people say that if you can do it, the more you work out the more you can eat.