Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Chunks

Options
Deetwood
Deetwood Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do most of you soak your wood chunks in water before putting on fire?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Deetwood,[p]I don't soak wood. I never really understood why folks started doing this. Over the years I have started a whole bunch of campfires. Maybe a few hundred. Sometimes the wood is wet, and the smell of the smoke is less than pleasant. A good campfire with dry hardwood is a smell to behold. Glorious. Righteous.[p]You don't need to see thick smoke to get smoke flavor. Most of the time you can hardly see the smoke coming out of my eggs. Just the fact that dry wood is burning in a clean burning environment should get you all the smoke you need. [p]what I do anyways. Best thing to do is experiment and see which flavor you prefer.
    Happy smokin
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    i don't soak them either.[p]in a weber or (GASP) in a tray in a gasser, the soaking of the chips keeps them from bursting into flame.[p]but i find that the relative air-tightness of the egg keeps the wood from igniting during a lo and slo. the wood smokes without ever bursting into flame.[p]if i'm throwing wood in to add a bit of smoke during a hi temp sear, well, soaking it just delays the inevitable. the wood will flame anyway.[p]lastly, i don't use chips, just chunks or hardwood debris from the yard....

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    Nature Boy, speaking of wood......I have your buttonwood/mangrove all boxed up, I just haven't made it to the Post Office yet.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    My bonehead self can't even remember if I sent you your cherry.....
    Duh
    Gettin older.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Deetwood,
    We do not soak chunks either. There really is no need to.[p]~nikki

• Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    Options
    Deetwood,[p]Nope - I just put some chuncks in with the lump. After the initial smoke, you can barely see the smoke like Nature Boy says.[p]-Tom
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    Nature Boy, since I re-retired (again) I can't remember if I just got up or just going to bed! Been working on the video, with a lot of set backs, and not doing much else. But, no I haven't seen a/the cherry in years. I'm in no hurry.