Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brand New BGE owner

Options
penfresh
penfresh Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my large BGE was delivered yesterday! I really had a hard time not calling in sick this morning. Excited, nervous and anxious. Any feedback for this novice?
Penny

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Penfresh,[p]eggcited, nervous, and anxious sticks around, don't know if there is a cure

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Penfresh,
    Welcome...first tip...throw away the manual..ask any questions you have right here...feel free to browse around my website for tips and recipes...download Bill Wise`s "BGE cookbook" also on my website..it is like the BGE bible....most of all...relax and enjoy...[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Penfresh,
    ditto wess b on throwing away the manual. . .most important first tip i learned was don't believe the stuff about a couple of handfulls of lump. . .always, always put enough lump to at least reach the top of the firebox and if doing a long cook, go halfway up the firering. . .even if you are simply doing some burgers or other quick cook, when you close the vents, the fire will snuff quickly and you will have your leftover lump for tomorrow's cook. . .[p]now, go to the grocery, and buy out the meat department. . .then get cooking. . .i remember my first cook. . .2 whole chickens and 2 flank steaks (and there were only four of us eating). ..

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Welcome to the club![p]Jim
  • penfresh
    Options
    WessB,[p]I am taking your advise and on my way to your site. Thanks for the encouragement....now I am really eggcited!
    Penny

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Penfresh,[p]hold off on throwing away that cookbook, you need to send in that warranty card

• Coleslaw
    Coleslaw Posts: 46
    Options
    Penfresh,
    Prepare yourself for a new culinary status amongst neighbors, co-workers, family, etc.

• penfresh
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I bought em out at lunch time. Gonna start with couple of T-bone steaks. Guess I'll learn to burp early on. Got the limes sliced and the beer is on ice! Here she goes
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Penfresh,
    t-bones have become my meal of choice for some reason lately.[p]you can actually cook them a few different ways, none of them bad, and each of them arguably better than the other method.[p]read up on the Trex method, the Xert method, and also just simply doing a sear/sear or sear/sear/dwell[p]good lord, man
    now you've got me starving

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • penfresh
    Options
    eggor, boy you saved my butt. Turns out my book has two copies of the warrenty but no warrenty card. Gonna make a little trip to the dealer Saturday to get a copy![p]thanks again
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Penfresh,[p]This is probably a little late...... I hope it's not..... because it's customary to preform some kind of initiation ceremony with your inaugural egg cook.
    And believe me.... the goofier the better. [p]My first cook, a few years back, was with beautiful thick ribeyes.... my favorite.
    After the coals were lit and the steaks were on, I cracked a beer, poured a little on the egg and then poured the rest on my head as I did the funky chicken encircling the egg counterclockwise approximately 3 times. [p]Since then I have never had a flashback nor has my fire died in the middle of the night.[p]True story.[p]Welcome to forum.

John[p][p]

• penfresh
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    like minded people! I used Toasted Head Chardonnay instead of beer but I had the dance down perfect....btw, the steak was divine. Thank God the weekend is almost here-let's ribs tomorrow and chicken on Sunday. Yippee, this is fun!

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Penfresh,[p]I think you'll fit in just fine. :~)[p]John