Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Chicken Help

Options
Pa_BBQ
Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My family loves rotisserie chicken done on the gas grill, but it is such a pain to clean up after.

What would you suggest trying to get that taste in chicken but using the egg.

I do have a couple of those "Sittin Chicken Ceramic Roasters" (Beer Can Chicken)

I was thinking of using those over the place setter to get an indirect cook, just not sure it would make it crispy.

Would you do them direct or indirect to get the taste and texture of rotisserie?
Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Spatchcock (Butterfly) it and do it direct on a raised grid for an hour or so at about 350 dome temp. It'll be great. Have fun
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Spatchcock those birds. Whole bird cooked in an hour or less. Very tasty.
  • Leggo My Eggo
    Options
    I spatchcock mine and do them indirect at the gasket level at about 375* and they always turn out great. I cook them skin side down for the first half hour or so then flip and put my probe in the breast and pull at 165*. Good luck.
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Yep, spatchcock is the way to go. You get taste similar to rotisserie but without the mess and bother. Any of the methods above will be great for cooking. Be sure to get your rub under the skin so the rub can get into the meat. ;)

Good luck.
  • Smoking Coles
    Options
    Here's the link to the Spatchcock method if you aren't familiar with it. If you have some method of raising the grid higher in the dome you probably get more crisp skin as well. Good luck.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Spatchcocking is not the only way to cook a bird on the Egg. Your veticle roasters will work fine. You could use the plate setter legs up or even just set the roaster on the grid at regular level. Cooking at high temps can result in crispier skin. Try to get as much of the moisture from the skin prior to cooking.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have a countertop rotisserie and I cannot duplicate it's results using the Egg.

I still cook some damn good chicken and there's many ways to do it. You might try indirect, PS legs up, chicken settin flat on the grid (not vertical) and cook at 500 for an hour. You can just look down the chimney to check on it without opening the dome.

I did it this way vertical and the top part near the chimney would get a bit charred. I like crispy but not necessarily charred.

I have found the best skin resulting from finishing hot. So if you cook at say, 350-400 - cook it to within about 15-20 degrees of the target temp and then open her up and cook the rest of the way at a hotter temp.

good luck and have fun!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC09789a.jpg

It's tough to duplicate the flavor from a rotesserie chicken.... but if you are after an easy cook with less clean-up Beer Pan Chicken fits that bill. And you don't even have to use beer, the pan liquid can be broth or broth and wine. You can also brine or inject the bird if you have more time. These take about 2 or 2-1/2 hours, and will give up some good liquid for gravy or a sauce.

A full write-up is in the Chicken section of my site.

DSC09780a.jpg

DSC09832a.jpg

DSC09794a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • greenfan
    Options
    Has anyone ever spachcocked a turkey? I was reading this thread and it got me thinking about that. I have cooked a couple of turkeys on my XL but have never thought about this. Not sure if I would have room even on an XL to do this, though.
  • Pa_BBQ
    Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
    Options
    I was looking on youtube for chicken and noticed there was a video on spatchcock Turkey, I did not watch it though.
    Large BGE
    Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    wow, i found some videos on spatchcocking a turkey but even better was a video from a cooking school on how to cook a turkey in the bge. i am going to cook one the next time my family gathers. maybe easter. should be cold enough. ham, turkey, dressing, and all the other fixings...
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    I also like the 500° method. No fuss. just fire it up, and an hour later..... perfect chicken!
  • NCTank
    NCTank Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, when you use the vertical roaster, are you doing this on direct or indirect heat and about how long does it take to cook? Drip pan? Sorry for so many questions, but I just bought my first egg and am trying to figure out the best way to cook a whole chicken.