Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some advice/ opinions from the forum

Options
StoicDude
StoicDude Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a friend who just bought a Mini as his first egg. He was impressed by the food coming of my Mini and wanted one for himself.
He will be cooking mostly for himself and wanted something that was easy to transport so he could take it RVing, etc.

He is also looking to get a bigger Egg, Large or Extra Large, so that he can cook bigger things and for other people when they are around.

I found him an XL with the BGE Table for $1000 brand new and with a warranty.

What do you guys think about this and the XL?
My suggestion was that if he is not ready to spend the $1000 for the XL now, to wait for the next EggFest and get a Large there.

I think that the table is a really nice one and that looks much better than the nest.

Thank you for your suggestions. I ll let you know what he decides. He ll probably end up signing up on the forum as well.

Comments

• Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    $1000 for a new XL with warranty and table sounds like a great price to me. If he is mostly cooking for himself, how often would he be cooking for enough people to fire up the XL? I'm new to egging, but I've seen pics of a lot of food on a large.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    That's about $500 - $600 off what it would cost him new in Houston, so I think it's a great price. I got the Large and glad I did, but for that price, I'd probably have gotten the XL.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• brain-game
    Options
    I have an XL and that price just seems too good to pass up.
  • StoicDude
    Options
    Kenny 13 wrote:
    If he is mostly cooking for himself, how often would he be cooking for enough people to fire up the XL?
    I think that he will be cooking 80-90% for himself, same as I do.

I mostly use my Mini for my cooks, but when I do pizzas, ribs or briskets I have a large to go to.

I think that the price was a big draw for him, because a new Large with a nest comes almost to that, depending to what dealer you go to.

Isn't there supposed to a price increase coming soon anyways?
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    Well I agree with the others here that $1000 seems like too good of a price to pass up, if he's willing to live with it knowing he's only gonna use it for 10-20% of his cooks. I just bought my large last week and paid just under $850 after sales tax for the egg, nest, grill gripper, a box of BGE fire starters, and a 20# bag of BGE lump. Could have gotten the same deal pre-tax price with the mates thrown in, which would have bumped me up to just over $900 after tax, but I really didn't want the mates.

With that price comparison, I would have jumped on the XL & table for $1000 as my first egg, even though I feel like I got a great deal.
  • asianflava
    Options
    I have an XL, I bought it a while ago so I don't remember what I paid I think it was $1000 (no table). Snatch it up if you can.

For your buddy, a Large is a PITA to move by yourself. When I transport it by myself, I have to take the lid out of the band to get it in/out of the truck and on/off the nest. It's not that it is super heavy (like the XL) but it is kinda hard to hold onto. I usually grab it from the botom vent and the top lip. A medium may be easier to handle. He could go the L with a handler route, but you will need to have a ramp to roll it out of the RV.
  • StoicDude
    Options
    asianflava wrote:

For your buddy, a Large is a PITA to move by yourself. When I transport it by myself, I have to take the lid out of the band to get it in/out of the truck and on/off the nest. It's not that it is super heavy (like the XL) but it is kinda hard to hold onto. I usually grab it from the botom vent and the top lip. A medium may be easier to handle. He could go the L with a handler route, but you will need to have a ramp to roll it out of the RV.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I figured the XL with the table was a great deal.

He will be using the Mini when he goes RVing. I have my Mini as well, so if we end up going together, we can use both.
  • Pilcher Man
    Options
    Buy it! You can't beat that price, especially with the table. I love my XL and I'm glad I went big in case of large cooks. For smaller cooks , I use the SS reducing ring accessory. You can buy one or make one out of a 15" or smaller SS beer keg. When I camp, I just roll table and all on to my 4 wheeler ramp trailer, tie it down good and go. Size matters, get the XL.