Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help, high cholesterol

Options
TnVolKen
TnVolKen Posts: 198
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My doctor said I have high cholesterol and knows I have an egg (he also has one) said I need to cut back, but I can not stop using my egg. I need help with some cholesterol friendly egg recipes. Please help an egger out. Thanks

Comments

• FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Options
    lean meats, tons of fish, chicken, veggies, 20 min brisk walk 5 days a week. But the reality is people with high cholesterol live long lives and people with good cholesterol sometimes suffer a heart attack in there early 40's. The main factor research has found is called homocystine and C-reactive protein which is how much inflammation is in the arterial walls allowing for the cholesterol to deposit. There are blood test for these that can better determine your risk. I always advise simple exercise and lean meats, but occasional, butts, ribs arn't a problem. I know tons of people on cholesterol meds and eat right, exercise and still have high cholesterol..It's produced in the body by the body. So as you can see there is more to the story but cholesterol lowering drugs are a multi billion dollar business..Huh
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I am in the health care business and I can tell you that cholesterol is one of the most malaligned and misunderstood subjects out there. And as Fatmike pointed out, it is probably second behind the number one mis diagnosed and prescription abused ailments out, depression. If diet was the main concern i would have died by the time I was 18. I was raised in the plantation south and had a steady diet of the 3 major food groups: salt, grease and pork. I don't think I even ate a vegatable from the ages of 13 to 25. I had an angiogram when I was 30 and I had the coronaries of an 18 year old. Everything in moderation. I have a friend that was raised exactly the opposite. No fat, no salt and no meat. Fish and skinless chicken. He has had two heart attacks, a mini stroke and his cholesterol is off the chart! Runs in his family. His kids have it too! Grilling is healthy for you. my wife has elevated cholesterol and since i started cooking mainly on the egg it has fallen into range. I think all the chick fil alet she was eating was the problem!
  • BayouMark
    Options
    I agree with the posts so far. Two things will pay you tremendous health benefits: 1) moderation 2) moderate exercise. The egg is a perfect cooking vessel for those who are cholesterol challenged. The grease drains away from the food and the food is not cooked in it. There is a battery of tests that can be done for a coronary risk assessment. I would not do it unless you have had symptomatic events: short of breath, radiating chest pain, radiating arm pain. I think if your Dr. thought you were at high risk, he would have referred you to a cardiologist.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Ken,

Sorry your cholesterol is high. Most likely it is genetically related, but there are some individuals who can lower theirs with diet. 80% or so is manufactured in the liver (as FatMike stated), excreted with bile and absorbed back into your blood stream as cholesterol.

High fiber diet (esp. psyllium) - like 30+ grams per day will help reduce the reabsorption in your GI tract. Exercise will elevate your 'good' cholesterol but won't help as much in lowering the bad stuff. Fish oil will clearly lower any elevated triglycerides. Folate (in moderation) and b vitamins will reduce the homocysteine Mike mentioned.

Grilling is clearly better than frying, and using EVOO instead of vegetable oil will help.

I would suggest you increase your exercise (even walking works), increase the fiber in your diet, supplement with some folate and maybe high grade fish oil (adding salmon or cod several times a week will replace this). Get your cholesterol rechecked after 6 weeks of this and if it is still elevated, you probably should let your MD add one of the prescription meds. Elevated cholesterol is not something to take lightly.
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.I'm on cholestoral medicine.Any time you can roast instead of fry vegetables, bake or steam instead of fry fish.Whatch what oils you use.Stay away from margarine and anything with trans fat.
    I found a good baked onion ring and breaded baked fish recipe on www.eatingwell.com
    Easy roasted vegetables.Heat oven or egg to 425.indirect. Put three TBL vegetable oil in a large bowl.add chooped garlic or garlic powder, salt/ pepper and toss sweet potato fries cut 1/2" thick, or cauliflower floretts, onions, brocolli, any root vegetable and toss to coat.Put on a baking pan or cookie sheet sprayed with pam or lined with parchment paper and bake for 25 minutes. Dust with grated parmasan cheese when they come out of the oven.
    My two cents.
    Use home made viniagette salad dressing instead of store bought:
    http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/best-5-minute-dressings
    http://www.eatingwell.com/search/apachesolr_search/viniagrette salad dressing
  • Exercise 3-4 days moderately and you won't have to cut back, I didn't and lost 45 pounds AFTER buying my egg.
  • Lovenbrau
    Options
    Get the processed foods out. Egg some meat, and eat raw veggies. Drink wine. And quit getting your blood tested, it causes stress!
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    im in the same boat. need to get my weight down and my exercise up. I've been dealing with depression for a while, and with me depression causes apathy. Apathy in not wantign to go out and exercise . My blood pressure was high, and my cholesterol was high.

I went on wellbutrin, i'm going to the gym 3-4 times a week and walking or doing physical activity every day. I'm eating a lot of whole grains, fresh fruit and veggies, little to no processed foods.

I make a turkey in the egg at least twice a month. The meat is healthy, cheap, and tasty. I make turkey vegetable stock from the carcass right away, and skim the fat off the broth. Vegetable Turkey Soup really doesnt get much healthier. If I need to add a starch, i add whole wheat pasta or whole grain brown rice.

I have 'cheated' on new years and superbowl and had ribs, and one night we went to Melting Pot and I ate like a pig, but i've been able to be pretty good.

Like others have said, eating right doesnt HURT, but there may be other factors. I'm on Zocor right now, and i have no side effects from it and my cholesterol went down quite a bit - even with me eating CRAPPY. I've been eating healthy for nearly 3 months now, so I'm eager to see what my new blood tests are.

my goal is to get off totally blood pressure meds and cholesterol meds.

I'm with ya brother egger
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    I also saw a dietician - my healthcare pays for 3 visits a year, she helped a lot.

I've never taken vitamins in my life, but I'm taking Centrum Cardio now, which helps reduce cholesterol naturally if paired with a healthy diet and exercise.

I know your original question was about what to egg, etc.

I steam veggies in foil with EVOO and Fred's treehugger veggie blend (video here: http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/BETTER_THAN_CAULIFLOWER_11_7_09_s/598.htm) and they are insane good. I've been buying IQF tuna and salmon from sams club - they are delicious and portion controlled (they are even premarinated). I'm not some midwestern silly goose - i'm a professional mariner and fisherman, and those IQF tuna and salmon steaks are VERY good.

Chicken breasts (skinless boneless) are also pretty decent since I started butterflying them and cooking them over 400deg direct. They dont dry out this way, they cook fast, and are super tasty (chicken breast generally bores me to tears, not so much if they are butterflied).

The dietician has me on no more than 3 red meat meals a week, including pork beef and lamb, but thats cool it only makes steaks on the grill that much more special. feel free to email me if you like, I have tons of tips.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    ive got good levels but when i was on the atkins diet years ago my levels dropped, good hdl's went up, and the weight went down. the egg was made for atkins and south beach diet plans. something i learned this week was that lard has less cholesterol than butter, i have no problem sauteing veggies with lard now :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    I had the same problem a year ago. My cholesterol was tested during a routine checkup and it was so high that it was way off the charts, even for the high range, and they wanted to admit me to the hospital. My doctor was aware of my egg and heavy meat diet but he said that in my case the cholesterol problem was mostly hereditary. He said I could diet and exercise until the cows come home but I would still not make a dent in my numbers. He said that exercise and diet alone usually only work for people with slightly high numbers, and that they are not sufficient for people in the very high category like me. So I was put on Crestor once daily and after a few months my cholesterol numbers were right back down to perfect levels. This was fine for a while but then after about 8 months I started getting a lot of muscle soreness and joint pain so they took me off the Crestor and the side effects went away. Now I am trying Pravastat which is similir to Crestor and so far I have not seen the side effects return. My advice is to use diet, exercise, and vitamins if you are only slightly high but if your numbers are off the charts or your problem is diagnosed as hereditary then get on the drugs and enjoy your normal egg food.

I always eat a lot of lean meats, fish, shrimp, and veggies. I also use nothing but the best EVOO or grapeseed oil and take daily vitamins including Centrum and fish oil. I have found that the egg diet is actually healthier than cooking on a stove since there is a lot less grease and I don't need to use lots of sauces or toppings for flavor, and it is much easier to support my low carb diet with the egg. Now if I could just find some good bread, pasta, and beer that was carb free then I would be healthy for life! :)
  • DrugCoder
    Options
    I find it easier to eat healthy using the egg. You can do SOOOOO much with boneless skinless chicken on the egg, and I never get tired of grilled veggies. Baked sweet potatoes are a favorite at my house.

Since buying the egg, we use a lot less oils for cooking. What we do use is usually EVOO and only for taste.

Pork butts and ribs are saved for weekend cookouts probably once a month with friends.