Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mexican Lump

ranchonodinero
ranchonodinero Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was in the local Mexican Meat Market and came across this "Mezquite" lump made in Mexico. Pretty cheap and large pieces. I've only cooked once with it-not overly smokey, seemed to burn slow too. Only knock on it is that it sparked quite a bit initially. Anyone else use or try this stuff?
787795202_LBVqx-M.jpg

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Mesquite will typically spark heavily..and it is also a VERY strong flavor...try it out before you commit to a low and slow with it..
  • I have used it and also some other Mesquitemexlump with OK results. I don't get into the fray of what lump is better or not( foreign vs domestic) I say if it works for you then go for it. I have had RO that spaked like chinese firecrackers also ( and yes it was american made)
  • ive used the mexican lump before - natures grilling, and that stuff sparks the 4th of july.

that being said it burns hot, but i've found it produces a LOT of ash. it makes food taste good though - i for one happen to like mesquite flavor.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC02825a.jpg

I actually prefer it (or a mix of mesquite lump with Royal Oak) for my heavy meat cooks. We used to buy it in gunny sacks in South Texas when I was a little boy. It will be in larger pieces, (but a smack with a hammer will break it down) it's sparky when starting and it burns hotter than most other lumps (so your vent settings will be different). But it delivers a nice light smoke throughout the cook.

Now, the lump made from mesquite is way different than using mesquite chunks for flavor wood. Many folks don't care for using mesquite chunks, it's stronger than hickory and give your meat a bitter flavor if it's not aged correctly. Let us know how you like it.

IMG_0313a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    WessB speakum the truth.

IMG_2146.jpg
  • :woohoo: nice mesquite chunks! wheredyagetem???
  • the "Ono" brand lump is from a Hawaiian wood very similar to mesquite. They send it to Mexico to be processed from wood into lump. I saw a few people have purchased it in the continental USA. Wondering: does it act like mesquite lump (i.e., lots of spark and lots of ash)? Are the negative properties of "mesquite lump" a function of the wood or the processing? ThirdEye and I had the same experience with mesquite wood as kids, which didn't have any negative properties the way our Grandpa used the wood :woohoo:
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    My buddy and his wife, who are also my fresh masa and chile connection, go to Denver a couple of times each month. Because Denver has a huge Latino population, he buys it at the flea market and I use it for trading straight across for other woods..... usually to transplanted Texans that can't get quality mesquite.

Cherry is one of my favorites, here is a box of cherry I got in a trade.

IMG_0335a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • :laugh: I like cherry and pecan
    but, mesquite, a la Pa, will alway be "home" cookn
  •  
    I too found some lump in a Mexican market. a little less than 50¢/lb and good size pieces. I found three different brands and all three seem about the same.

Sparks when lighting or if taken to higher temperatures. But so far the stuff is pretty good. There seems to be quite a bit more ash.

#40 lb bag
    mexlump40lb-1.jpg

8# lb bag
    mexlump8lb-1.jpg

GG
  • Thanks for the replies-and great pix of the sparks! I like the mesquite flavor. I used this lump on my buckboard "Canadian" bacon (after the burgers) and gave the bacon a nice flavor. I'll have to check on the ash production; I mixed the first cook with RO.
  • I'll second the sentiments about using mesquite lump for cooking. I've cooked rack of lamb and pork butts with mesquite and they turned out great.
    The Naked Whiz
  • I reviewed Ono charcoal on the Lump Charcoal Database and I preferred Ono to regular mesquite, FWIW. (Although I see a mistake in the review I need to look into. I have the burntime as "low" yet in the text I say it was average. I'll resolve that tonight.) Here's a link:

Review of Ono Lump Charcoal
    The Naked Whiz
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    I grew up in the panhandle of Texas and until I was 40 I never cooked with anything but mesquite branches, grubs, or twigs. Let it burn to coals and there is nothing better. Hot and clean. I always try to take some mesquite with me each year on my October campout in the mountains of New Mexico. I know when I start a mesquite fire that everyone is wondering about the wonderful aroma.

For my annual Landscape Managers Conference, we purchase 10 or so 20 pound bags of the Mexican Mesquite Lump to use in a giant firepit in lieu of firewood. Burns long and hot and smells great.

Mike