Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

blatzman1
blatzman1 Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a friend who owns an egg (medium size). I'm looking to purchase one but can't decide on what size. As an outdoor cooker for 30 years, I've always owned three different size and types of grills. What would you suggest? I grill three to four times a week for one to two people up to 15 to 20.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Buy a large. It is the best all round. Then like most of us you will end up with a small (or other size) in your future.

Owners of multiple BGE's are very common around here. :) :laugh:
  • What Rich said. For 3-4 the large is great, for 15 to 20 the large is great particularly once you get a method of multi-layering the grate. The ceramic gill store sells the adjustable rig which works well in the egg for doing that.

Doug
  • Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I personally own a Large and a Small. I started with the Large because of it's versatility. It is efficient enough that you aren't wasting huge amounts of fuel to cook a couple of steaks for the family, but when you need to, you can put in 6 racks of ribs, multiple pork butts, 3-4 chickens, etc.

The other reason I personally believe that the Large makes the best choice at first is that most of the accessories for the Egg are first developed for the the Large (e.g. the adjustable rig system from the Ceramic Grill Store).

I bought the small because I got it cheap on Craigslist, and because I liked the idea of having two Eggs, and being able to cook two different things at once while entertaining, being able to run one direct and one indirect at the same time, and to have a model that was easier to travel with than the heavy Large. That said, turn to my Large 75%+ of the time, even when just cooking for me and the wife.

My $.02

-John
  • I'll put in another vote for the large.
  •  
    Welcome to the forum.

2 of us here and over the years I have purchased the large, medium, small and mini.

Once a month the kids and grand kids get together, 26 in all.

For a long time the large, and a few accessories from member tjv, did all the work and did it cooks just fine.

It sure is nice to have multiple eggs. However, I would do it a bit differently than I did before. I would end up with 2 larges and a mini. The mini is great for a quick cook for the wife and I or the two of use and a couple or three of the grand kids.

I have no problem cooking a small meal in the large the lump use is not all that much of an issue. When a cook is done just close down the egg and use the lump on the next cook.

You will love the food cooked on the egg.

GG
  • I don't always cook on a BGE, but when I do it's on a Large. Stay hungry my friend.

I've had mine about a month and it's great.
  • ive cooked up to 20lbs of baby backs at a time in my large egg, I catered my daughter's christening for 40 people, including pork butts and baby backs, also ABTs, with just proper planning.

i have an 18lb turkey going right now on my large, mad maxx method, and this weekend we will have turkey soup.

I don't think i need an extra egg, it would just take up space. Perhaps a small if i was going to use it just for searing, but my large is so versatile and efficient it's pretty hard to beat.
  • Large is the way to go. You will have plenty of room for a small family without accessories. Once you get the hang of egging, you can expand your cooking area and get different temps for different cooks in one unit.

I have had my LBGE for a couple months. Best BBQ purchase I ever make.

Welcome and have fun!
  • I got a medium for Xmas, and I took it back and exchanged it for the large. I'm really glad I did, too...
  • Large it is. Thanks for all of your suggestions and comments.
  • Get the large. It will do everything you need. Enjoy it!
  • I was convinced I wanted an XL for all the big cooks we do. So glad I let the kids talk me out of it. The Large is the way to go. It will do it all. Welcome aboard and have a great time with your new EGG.
  • rzrrob
    rzrrob Posts: 162
    for the little extra go with the XL, you never have enough of room... the eggs use little fuel as it is so you would hate to sat I wish I had more room... also keep in mind that the XL has not been out that long so many dont have them

GO big or go home :woohoo:
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Ah heck, I'll give my two cents. Go for the XL. If you want space then the XL is it. You can get a Lump Reducer so you don't have to use a lot of lump charcoal. I know everyone says Large but there is absolutely nothing wrong with an XL. There are accessories for the XL as well.
  • I've only been egging since last Summer so take it for what it is worth. I have a large and got a mini for Christmas. The large has been fantastic! There are a ton of accessories for it that will allow you to cook pretty much anything. Plan on getting a plate setter when you get the egg. I've had both the large and mini fired up at the same time. Why? Once you start cooking on the egg, you won't want to cook on anything else. I suspect that I will get another large or at least a medium. The mini is great, but it is not the ideal complement to the large.