Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt - 300 degrees - how long???

Options
Kayakjack
Kayakjack Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am putting together a surprise birthday party for my wife this weekend. I want to have barbecued pork ready for the party (4pm Sunday). I can't do it overnight (Saturday), because she will figure it out. She will be gone Sunday from about 10 am til 4pm. Is six hours at 300 degrees long enough to produce a good result? How will the result differ from 225 degrees over a much longer period?[p]Thanks!![p]Jack

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    kayakjack, I'd have to say, if you don't have but 6 hours to cook for the party then you had better plan on having ribs instead of pork butt! I don't see how you could get one done (and tender) in 6 hours.
    1044 Posts: 93
    Options
    kayakjack,[p]I have to agree with HA. I just spent 19 hours on a couple of 7.5 pounders at 230-240.

1044 Posts: 93
    Options
    I mean HJ. :-p
  • Unknown
    Options
    1044, I answer to 'bout anything!! Except "Mr." Hugh Jass![p]Van

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    kayakjack, while I think you are much better off let it go low and slow, you can alkso get some pretty decent results cooking it a little shorter and hotter. Here's the problem. It's not going to pull as well as one cooked longer. You may find it easier to chop rather than pull and you'll need to spend some time picking fat out as it will not have dissolved out as well. You need to get the internal temp up to at least 180 before pulling it off. Let it rest for an hour and then start pulling apart and chopping. It will be good, BUT not as good.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    kayakjack,[p]If I were in your shoes I'd try this..... cut the butt in 2 or 3 even pieces, rub down really well, put them on indirect and hot around 300 and give it some good smoke for a few hours with hickory, pecan or oak.[p]Pull them off and put the pieces in a dutch oven with a little liquid and cook the rest of the way on the egg or the stove top until it easily breaks down to seperate out the meat from the fat globs...... Probably best to let the liquid hard simmer but not boil. [p]The liquid will help to speed up the cook and keep the meat moist.... you can save the liquid seperating out the fat and make your sauce. It won't be true bbq but it will have some smoke flavor and will be good eating nonetheless.[p]Good Luck!
    John[p]

• Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Options
    kayakjack, I don't think there is anyway you can cook it in six hours and have something you would want to serve company.[p]If you want butt, I would try and figure out a way to cook it where she doesn't think anything of it. Tell her you saw a new recipe on this forum, or tell her you are trying your hand at smoking jerky. If your wife is like mine, she'll just roll her eyes and walk away.
  • Kayakjack
    Kayakjack Posts: 8
    Options
    Washog,[p]What I'm leaning towards doing now is trying to start it Saturday night when "she isn't looking". I hope she doesn't smell the smoke on me. Probably have to change my clothes before I get near her. [p]She is leaving the house Sunday morning aroung 9:30am. I have to hope she doesn't walk onto the back deck and smell something. [p]I'm concerned she is going to get suspicious. Then the jig will be up. [p]I'm still thinking.[p]Jack

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    Kayakjack,
    Your real problem it sounds like is that you aren't doing this often enough :-) If you did it every Saturday night she wouldn't get suspicous at all. [p] And if anyone out there knows a way to get your wife (significant other) to think of smoke as a good smell please let me know.[p]John

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    JM3,
    You can start by replacing your cologne with some liquid smoke and see how that goes. That would be my suggestion to start.

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    kayakjack,[p]I know that there will be many who disagree, but here is a method I found acceptable when in a pinch.[p]It is better chopped than pulled, but will pass quite nicely.[p]Good Luck[p]Bob
    [ul][li]Fast BBQ Pork[/ul]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    JM3,[p]I kind of like the smell of smoke myself...![p]Tonia
    :~)