Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Makin\' bacon...thanks y\'all

Options
vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On the way home from the airport last Monday we stopped by Super H and bought a little over 6#'s of pork belly with the skin on. After a confab with FlaPoolman (thx Pat) I trimmed the skin off. I coated the bacon with Hi Mountain buckboard bacon cure and let it sit until last night. I turned it once a day. I started washing it off yesterday and rinsed it several times and let it sit over night in water.

Today I started the large and put in apple chunks (thx Anne & Del). I coated one piece in RichardFl (thx Richard) Indian River Pepper rub. I coated 2 pieces in pure Maine syrup (thx Julie & Neil). I cooked the bacon for 2 hours at 160 indirect and 2 hours at 190 until it reached 145 internal.

Anyway here are some before and after pics. I will slice it tomorrow eve so more pics to follow:

002-45.jpg

003-41.jpg

004-39.jpg

So thanks to Pat, Julie, Anne & Richard oh and Dr Seuss (Doug) for bringing my Digi Q by this afternoon... ;):)

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Nice looking cook. Sure that is not mislabeled boneless country ribs??
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Could be...they are nice chunks of meat...I thought you meant the rub since Ginny combined so many together???
    ;)B):)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have a new jug for your use and she is not allowed to mix it with anything else. However I think the mixture would have been a good rub on the bacon. LOL
  • looks great... dang.
    cold smoked 6 pounds of belly today. cured it with pink salts and a maple dry cure for a week. the smoke never got above 140/150, and the internal only got as high as 80. going to chill it and slice maybe thursday or so. made canadian bacon last week, which i hot smoked.

9 pounds (before trimming) of loin. man. it all smells fantastic. the curing is transformative. i can get used to this.

got a fresh ham coming. will be curing our ham for easter again this year....
  • vidalia1
    Options
    That all sounds great. I know mine smelled great. I love the smell of the apple chunks. I can't wait to try this bacon.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I been wanting to try to homecure a ham,any tips?
  • Cheesegghead
    Options
    I have been buying whole hogs from a local farmer the past couple years and doing all the butchering/processing myself. The most recent one I used Dizzy Pig's method as on the website. It worked Great! I modified the brine a bit for personal taste, used a little apple and orange juice. Make sure to use the cure as specified on the package as too much can be poisonous. :blink: I also cut each ham into thirds befoe brining. That way I don't have to cook up a 20 pound ham for our four person family. Give it a try, takes some time and effort but well worth it!
  • ah. well. i'm just following the michael ruhlman from the book "charcuterie", probably the single best book on food that i have gotten for myself.

that, and third-eye held my hand via email last year the first time i did it. hahaha

it's easily the best ham you'll ever have, even if you screw up. i was crunched for time, and had an inadequate amount of pink salts... so when i sliced it on easter, about three inches deep was ham, and the inner portion was pork roast. hahaha

but it is just wonderful stuff, and fun to do. i dunno, the whole charcuterie thing just amazes me and has provided the most reward of almost anything since getting the bGE itself.
  • Hoss
    Options
    I have done a little Web research on it.My Grandpa used to do it but I was too young to get the grasp of what was goin on.I had no trouble eating it though.He had a REAL smokehouse,he would put the hams in a wooden box and cover them with some concoction,when he said they had "taken the cure" he would hang and smoke them.I have access to 2 walkin coolers that can be set to any temp I want,but I don't know how to control the humidity,which I should check into.Maybe I should talk to my HVAC man and get a Humidity controller.I could Dry age several tons of steak at once! :)
  • Hoss
    Options
    I'll give it a look.Thanks! :)
  • after i did the bellies today (cold smoke) i told my wife i could really get into doing a ton of them at once. pictures swimmin in my head of a smoke house out back. hahaha

if you have one, man. could be fun
  • Hoss
    Options
    I can DAYUM sure build one! ;) It's been on my mind for a while.Already got the coolers if needed! :)
  • EgginDawg
    Options
    Hey, wait a minute. Didn't you say you were coming over and cooking me breakfast on Saturday? We'll be up by 9. :laugh: