Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Wrapped Shrimp

Options
SingleMalt
SingleMalt Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Attended a weddig reception recently where bacon wrapped shrimp were served. They were absolutley wonderful and my wife wants me to try some on the egg. Only problem is, I can't figure out how one would cook them long enough to get the bacon done without over cooking the shrimp. Maybe prepare the egg as you would for steak (very hot)and cook them fast. I don't know. Any ideas or experience with anything simular? Also, they were served with a Jack Daniels based sauce. Any experience with that would be helful also.

Comments

• Deetwood
    Deetwood Posts: 70
    Options
    Single Malt,[p]It's possible the sauce was bought, I know Jack Daniels have a lot of products.

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Single Malt,
    the bacon is an insulator for the shrimp, your bacon and shrimp will cook together just fine at 350° indirect. I'd go indirect because of possible flare ups from the bacon. If you can get a hand on apple smoked bacon, its really good, another alternative is using apple chips or chunks. HTH.

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Single Malt,[p]You can pre-cook the bacon. Not all the way, but enough that it's cooked but not crispy.[p]Here's a sauce recipe that uses Jack Daniels. It's one of my favorite sauces to make.[p]http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/sauces/jimsJackSauce.htm
    [ul][li]Jim's Jack Sauce[/ul]
  • HighMedLow
    HighMedLow Posts: 32
    Options
    Single Malt, I too had some bacon wrapped shrimps at a wedding reception, but the bacon was not properly cooked (over hot coals), because the meat was not cooked & fat not renderd.. The combination is VERY tasty though.[p]Partial rendering is a very good idea prior to wrap.[p]BTW, what is you favorite single malt?

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    Single Malt,[p]Don't know if this is too late but I always parboil(?) the bacon before wrapping the shrimp. Just let the bacon cook a little in the water until the fat turns a little translucent. Not only does it partially precook the bacon but it also gets a little of the fat out. Doesn't affect the end result the least little bit. Mac
  • SingleMalt
    Options
    Mac in NC ,[p]Good idea, thanks! Will give it a try & I may try it with Chef Wil's recommendation.
  • SingleMalt
    Options
    HighMedLow,[p]Haven't met many single malts I didn't like but, must admit that I'm partial to 12 yr. old McCallan.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    Single Malt, every year i bring a bottle of the 18 year old mccallan on a fishing trip, this year it seems unavailable. good stuff. as for the bacon, make sure that you use the thin bacon not the thick, and partially cook it helps too.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it