Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Butchers on the History Channel

HawkcigarHawkcigar Posts: 2
edited 11:30AM in EggHead Forum
I see that the History Channel is going to have a show on the world of butchers and meat processing this Thursday at 11 am Central Time. I'll set the DVR to record so I can watch it after work and thought others may want to do the same. Makes me kind of sad because my neighborhood butcher that was just a couple of blocks away closed up shop last month.

Modern Marvels: The Butcher.
In a carnivorous world, a butcher is a necessary link in the food chain, carving a carcass of unsavory flesh into mouthwatering cuts. We trace the grisly trade's evolution--from yesteryear's butcher-on-every-corner to today's industrial butcher working on a "disassembly" line. We tour the infamous remains of the Chicago Stockyards, where Upton Sinclair, Clarence Birdseye, and refrigeration changed butchering forever; witness high-speed butchering; and travel to a non-stop sausage factory. And if you're still squeamish, a USDA inspector offers the lowdown on HACCP--the country's new system of checks and balances on everything from quality grading to E. coli, Salmonella, and Mad Cow Disease. Finally, we visit the last bastion of old-school butchering--the rural custom butcher, who slaughters, eviscerates, skins, and cuts to his customer's wishes
·

Comments

• TNmikeTNmike Posts: 643
    Thanks for posting. It's probably been on before but I haven't seen that one. I'll either record or catch it on the next showing. It should be interesting. Mike
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Truly a LOST ART! ;) I woud LOVE to see it!My Grandpa raised,feed out,slaughtered,butchered,processed,cured and anything else you can imagine rite there on the farm.DAYUM I wish I would have been old enough for him to teach me! :)
    ·
  • this is a repeat. ..it was a very interesting episode....i remember when i was a kid, my uncle harry had corner market in mt. ranier maryland ... had one of those heavy duty butcher blocks in the back where he butchered meats down from the primal cuts. . .i'd love to have one of those old school blocks if i could find one. . . .
    ·
  • The only butcher I've seen on the History Channel is Adolph Hitler.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    I saw it a few weeks ago. It's a pretty interesting show. I was amazed to learn that when a calf reaches adolescent age, they are sent to a facility where they are fed almost constantly with limited mobility, taking them from approx 800#'s to 1500#'s in 2-3 weeks.
    ·
  • emillucaemilluca Posts: 673
    I have one it is 24 inches square and 24 inches deep. It sits on 4 wooden legs and is at waist level.
    Love it and would not part with it for thousands of dollars.
    It is at least 50 years old..
    E.
    ·
  • emillucaemilluca Posts: 673
    You can get the DVD on Amazon for 1.99 plus 2.99 shipping for those who might me curious.
    ·
  • emilluca,
    Hey Thanks for that last comment!
    I'll check into that for sure, since we only get 8 channels on a good day.(no cable up here on the mounain!)
    And the History channel is NOT one of them!

It does make for more reading and cooking time, however. :laugh:
    ·