Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tenderloin, Pommes Anna and Bearnaise

Doug in Eggmonton
Doug in Eggmonton Posts: 1,999
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Miranda turns 17 this week and for the family dinner requested Chateaubriand with Bearnaise sauce and Pommes Anna.

To get the Pommes Anna ready you first rehydrate a dozen or so prunes in 1 cup chicken stock at a low simmer, till the liquid is all gone and they look like this.

MirandasBDay.jpg

Then add some salt and pepper and 1 minced shallot and chop it all together until the prunes have become a paste.

MirandasBDay001.jpg

I then clarify some butter, and slice a couple of pounds of potatoes thin (1/16 inch is good, 1/8 inch alright) and rinse and dry the spuds on paper towels.

In a large eggable heavy pan or in this case my biug fry pan, a thin layer of clarified butter, then a layer of potatoes, then dot with 1/2 the prune mixture and salt and pepper, then potatoes, then prunes, then potatoes. Pour a couple of tablespoons of the clarified butter on top.

MirandasBDay004.jpg

My egg was busy so I used the stove. First you do a few minutes on the stove top until it starts bubbling, shaking gently every little while so it doesn't stick. Then into a 450 egg or oven for about 1/2 hour until it looks like this:

MirandasBDay008.jpg

In the meantime I had trimmed up a whole 6 lb tenderloin, took off the chain and cut it into two halves, with an eye to one rare and one medium rare.

MirandasBDay005.jpg

I cooked them at 400, searing all four sides on the grate then put them on the raised grid and cooked the rare one to 115 and the med rare one to 128. Here they are off the grill and going into their rest

MirandasBDay007.jpg

And sliced and on the platter

MirandasBDay010.jpg

Done just right.

MirandasBDay009.jpg

Whisking the Bearnaise (its a lot of whisking, so we take turns)

MirandasBDay006.jpg

And finally on the plate, we serve the Bearnaise in cups made of halved artichokes. The Asparagus was on a skewer with salt, pepper, lemon and olive oil and went on the egg while the meat rested.

MirandasBDay011.jpg

The birthday girl was happy with the meal and thats all that matters

Doug

Comments