Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

arranging spares on grate/grates

jonboy
jonboy Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to arrange 3 racks of spare ribs on a large egg? I plan on cutting st louis cut and will have misc rib tips to consider also.
IF i use multiple layers what is the best way?
I could run to the big box store and buy different size grates or should i get one of the rigs from the ceramic store?
I am thinking about using the 321 method on the ribs at 250 temp.
Thanks for any practical help,
jon

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    This is how I do it but I have a 2 inch ring. Maybe you can use some bricks wraped in foil. Tim

000_1578.jpg
  • have you tried the v-rack method? I can do 6 racks of st louis in the rack with a 7th rack laying flat on top, with the tips/skirts (i chuck the brisket bone portion) around and under the vrack. It's challenging but that's the fun part!
  • 2Fategghead
    Yes, I have used the vrack and you could most likely get more ribs on that way. I just like laying them flat meat side up no turning. Tim :)
  • jonboy
    I am not sure what a 2 inch ring is?
    I cut some fire bricks this morning and got some ribs on by noon. I think i will recut the firebricks as they take up a lot of real estate.
    I have not used a v rack, it would be hard to sauce on one i think.
    I am trying a 321 at 250. Outside temps are 21 and snowing.
    The egg is hanging tough.
    Thanks for the help,
    jon
  • 2Fategghead
    I has this 2 inch food grade stainless 304 ring made. It's 18 inch diameter and I have 6 1/4 inch skewers made to bake potato's as well. If I go indirect I use my plate setter then a grid for one layer of food then the 2 inch ring and the next grid. The skewers are removable. Tim

This cost me quite a bit to have made. I'm not saying you should make one and I don't make them to sell. I'm just saying. :)

000_0876.jpg

000_0879.jpg
  • jonboy
    Nice rack.
    jon