Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven

Options
Brokersmoker
Brokersmoker Posts: 646
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Took road trip this weekend and ended up at the Lodge Store in Pigeon Forge, TN. Walked out with a 5 qt double dutch oven :woohoo: Now I am in need of suggestions such as what and how to put it to use :blush:, What and how to cook, lid up or down, what temp, or how to control the fire and lump?

Lookin forward to new horizons
Ken

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Chili - with the lid off so you can get some of the smoke flavor in it.
  • deltadawn
    Options
    We are doing our first dutch oven cook using Clay Q's Pulled Beef, really smells good. It is in the recipe book on this site.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

You are in for a lot of fun and good eats. The DO is a natural with the egg.

If you put a lid on the you may as well put the DO in the oven.

Here are some DO cooks.

Egret's Chili, changed a little
    chili2.jpg

Cook setup using the Spider. The pizza pan is used because this DO base is too small diameter for the ring in the spider.
    chili1.jpg

Cioppino
    eggcioppinob.jpg

One of my favorite Sunday cooks Pot Roast.
    doroast7.jpg

Very easy cook.

Link to DO Pot Roast Recipe

This is only a very small sample of what you can cook in the DO.

You don't need to use indirect method of cooking as the DO handles that for you. If you have the camp style version (legs) you may want to use the Spider, pizza stone or plate setter just for stability.

Flat bottom style DO, on the grid is fine again no need for indirect methods,k although you will see a lot of people using the plate setter or pizza stone.

GG
  • asianflava
    Options
    I have several in all different sizes from 5in to 16in ovens. I haven't done any DO cooking in a while, just this week I decided to dust one off and make meatloaf. I made a meatloaf, 2lbs ground beef & 1lb ground pork. I cooked it using "the rule of 3s" till the internal temp was 160F, then I sauced it and cooked it for 10-15min more. It took a little over an hour to cook. I used the thermometer because I already have it for bbq.

Rule of 3's: take the size and add 3 coals to the top and subtract 3 from the bottom to cook at approx 350F. For example I used a 12in DO, I placed 9 coals underneath and 15 on the top.

20067_1359107740864_1326651636_31043439_1758950_n.jpg

20067_1359156142074_1326651636_31043495_5932577_n.jpg
  • asianflava
    Options
    Lodge makes 2 different types of Dutch Ovens. The camp oven has a lip on the lid so that you can put charcoal on it. I suppose you could on the other one, but it would be harder.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Hey Kent,

Do you have Cioppino handy? Sure would like to et a copy of it.

Thanks!