Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Egg / First Post

Options
Big Thunder
Big Thunder Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Purchased my first Egg yesterday, after a very long time of wondering if I really needed it (several other grills / smokers adorn my deck/patio). I bought a large, and I have some rib eye that I dry rubbed a couple of days ago, waiting in the fridge. I plan to sear them up this evening. I will have to experiment with several ideas that I have read on this forum. Any last minute ideas on how to get the perfect med-rare steaks would be great. It's Valentines and the lat thing I need is an eggsperiment gone wrong.

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Congrats on the new egg. :woohoo:
    I would go 4oo dome temp until desired internal temp. You won't get a lot of char that way but I have realized that I don't like char. Those black grill marks don't have much flavor but oh do they look good. :laugh:
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I am with Jim on that advice :) and put a couple of nice bakers on and a little grilled Romain and you will have a to die for dinner :) just let the lump burn enough to get clear nice smelling smoke.
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, you will be so happy with your new egg. Make sure you post pic please. Good luck on your first cook.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I like the char, but you will have to experiment to see what you like. Cook your sides on the egg first. Then open the vents and get the egg up to 500 or so and cook your ribeye for 2 minutes on each side. Then you can close down the vents and let the steak arrive at your desired temperature.

Good luck. You will love cooking steak on your new egg.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • golffer
    golffer Posts: 144
    Options
    Congrats. You will love everything about it.

If you haven't already got one the first accessory should be a Thermopen. Cooking temp makes up for a lot of errors. For your first steak go close to the TRex. You'll never do steak out again. B)

Happy eggin
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Congrats on your new toy! For Medium Rare, My recommendation is the hot tub method. We have been using exclusively for past few months, and REALLLY like the results. Some recommed hot tubbing to 110 or 115, but I have been hitting about 98F and pulling steaks. I finish at 600 F for about EDIT - 90 seconds a side, and yes, I DO like the char marks (or even a little more char).

You will have a great time! Be patient, takes a little getting used to, but be sure and search the Forum for lots of ideas and wise input from those that have doing it a LOT longer than my 8 months...

Get a good thermometer and use it! I recommend the Maverick 73 (available about everywhere) for the low and slows. Dont have a Thermopen (yet)!

Dave in Keller, TX
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Congrats on your new egg. Fill your fire box almost to the top and light at 12,3,6, and 9. Get Temp 500 or more and hold it there for 30 minutes to make sure you burn off the carbon fumes.
    Some folks will close the dome, we don't, but will (for 10 sec) we get flare ups. Cook like you want it. Enjoy and welcome to the forum. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I'm just wondering if the gasket will hold up to the high temp on the first cook???
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Big Thunder
    Options
    Well the gasket did not hold, but I over came any issues. Steak was absolutely the best I've eaten.

Nomex on the way ;)

Also, I had problems getting the heat back down. Maybe I was looking for a miracle. Once she was humming over 500, I closed the vents down and could not get the temp to lower for quite sometime.