Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I be worried?

Options
Deetwood
Deetwood Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pork Butt's been hung at 147 for the last hour and a half. Does the cooking start to slow? It's a 6 pound butt and its been cooking 8 hours....

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Deetwood,
    Nope, this is the plateau that meats like pork butts hit when you cook them slow. At this point, all the collagen in the meat is being converted to gelatin. All the heat going into the meat is being used to do this. Once the conversion is done, the heat will go towards raising the temperature of the meat again. Did you ever do the fractional distillation experiment in chemistry where you heat a mixture of liquids? Remember how the temperature of the solution would rise and then hold steady at the boiling point of the first liquid, then rise and hold steady at the boiling point of the second liquid? Same sort of thing.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Deetwood
    Deetwood Posts: 70
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]You da man. Thinks again.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Deetwood,
    Man, I hope your in California because that plateau can hold for hours, and once it's done, it can still take hours to finish.
    Just a guess, but it sounds to me like you have several more hours of cooking... but it's worth it....[p]enjoy

Apollo Beach, FL