Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket OK Potatoes awesome

Bash
Bash Posts: 1,011
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not quite sure what I did wrong with the brisket. It was still pretty tough (definitely not tender) when I pulled it at 196-197.

Here it is before rest. Not too appetizing.

IMG_5574.jpg

Foiled, let rest 4 hours in some beef broth. Was a little dry, but the kids all raved about it. They really liked it. I was disappointed.

IMG_5593.jpg

For the highlight of the meal. Crash hot potatoes. Best potatoes ever. I could eat those every day. Two full cookie racks on the XL

IMG_5595.jpg

And for desert :blush: :blink: :woohoo:

IMG_5596.jpg

Did over 20 hours with a load of lump, and still plenty left over.

Richard

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Bash, If the kids liked it I don't think you could have done any better. It all looks great and thanks for posting.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• what did you start with? was it a whole packer or just a flat. Also, how big was it when you started?
  • Bash
    Gene, it was a whole brisket. It was 10 lbs.

Richard
  • That looks very small for 10 lbs. Was there much fat cap on the bottom or was it mostly trimmed away
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    That sure looks like a flat to me. Slices look great from here and if the kids liked it, your good to go.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Bash
    The fat cap was pretty thick. I covered the entire bottom, probably an inch under the point, tapering to 1/4 to 1/2 at the end of the flat. I was suprised how much fat there was.

It was mostly cooked away. I didn't have to cut any fat off the pieces I ate.
  • Bash
    Well, this was my first brisket, so all I know about it is what I have read online.

It did have a thicker piece that pulled off cleanly after the rest, so I assume that was the point. I could be wrong though.

Kroger did sell whole briskets and flats. The whole ones were 10 to 12 lbs, the flats were in the 4 lb range.

But again, this is my first brisket, so I could have it all wrong.

I appreciate the responses. I was disappointed. Had read it was real tricky, but read so many good reviews I gave it a shot. I'll probably try again someday, but not until I read more.
  • Love doing potatoes that way. Try using a pizza stone instead of the metal pan next time - they get nice and crispy. Especially if you brush with a little garlic butter... :whistle: