Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips on Pizza

impag10
impag10 Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just got a plate setter and pizza stone...going at it for the first time on the egg, any advice?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I do them plate setter legs down, spacers such as green feet, then pizza stone. Stone preheated before pie. 500-550 dome temp.
  • Try this
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=803330&catid=1
    Pizza dough recipe
    [/url]ttp://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html

Ross
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Get the platesetter and stone into the egg as soon as you know the fire is going to get going well. You want everything to heat up together. By the time you get to whatever temp you want the stone should be about to the same temp the thermo reads.
  • Hi,

Pizzas are allot of fun to cook - about my favorite. I've made my own dough, various sauces and tried all sorts of cheeses (fav is a mix of freshly grated mozzerella, provolone, asiago/parmesan).

The temp and cook time you use is really dependent upon the dough you are using. Honestly, I've gotten lazy and started buying Trader Joe's pizza dough - it cooks just the way I like it. I do that at about 550 for 12min. I form the dough w/my hands (you need a bit of flour) and cook til the bottom of the crust browns slightly. I generally use parchment paper for easy transfer and yank it out after about 4-5min. I also like the cheese golden brown.

Best of luck - this cook is fun!

Cool_Dad_Pizza.jpg

Cheese_Olive.jpg
  • Thanks for all the tips. Will be making my own dough as I normallly do when I cooked it in my oven, but now excited for the eggsperience!
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Parchment paper under the dough for sure!

Cooking times will vary 1-3 minutes.

PizzaCrustBlog1_edited-1.jpg
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    The only really bad experience I had with pizza was cooking it in a really gunked up egg. If your egg is new you will be fine. Once you do some lo-n-slows, you will want to do a high temp burn to burn off the gunk before doing pizza.

I'm looking forward to pics of your cook!

Richard
  • Clean Egg, fresh load of lump large pieces on bottom, fill to mid level of fire ring. Light egg and allow 10 minutes to get going. Put plate setter legs down with pizza stone directly on the plate setter. The thermal mass of this rig allows for super crispy thin crust pizza.
    Prep pizza dough and brush with olive oil punch with fingers to dimple and put on stone for 5 minutes. Pull and go light with sauce, the cheese then three toppings and a little more cheese to lock in the toppings. Less is more. You should see the dough through the sauce and you should see the sauce through the toppings and cheese.
    Slide onto semolina or corn meal coated peel and transfer to egg. Allow to cook for 6 minutes at 650º to 750º and rotate once 180º. Use care when opening egg due to potential flashback from Oxygen rush when opening it. Use the burping technique which is open two or three inches and close quickly to allow air into to the egg and let it ignite the carefully open the egg all the way. Work fast because when the egg is open you're losing heat FAST!
    Cheese should be bubbling and starting to brown, crust should have a bit of char around the edges, but not totally burnt.
    This Egg will cook a Pizza to very near the same way a wood fired brick oven will, which to me is the absolute finest pizza you'll ever eat!
    Use your imagination on the toppings, just remember to keep the toppings to three and the ingredients on the light side. Less is more... you should taste the crust, sauce, toppings and cheese... not just one or two of the ingredients.
    By cooking the crust a bit ahead of time you'll eliminate the chance of soggy crust and having a hole develop and the pizza sticking to the stone.
    Cheers!
  • Hi Tony,

I really like your blog and have it bookmarked!

Wondering if you noted differences between legs up/down on the platesetter? I've never done it with legs up, usually, I put the legs down and put some steel nuts between the platesetter and pizza stone the stone. Does it get hotter faster or what?