Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do most of you cook pork butts etc.

Options
Deetwood
Deetwood Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
with the probe in the meat while it cooks or just use the hour method?[p]I've got one of those temperature gauges that has the metal wire attached to the probe.

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Deetwood,
    The only way to cook a butt is with the probe. You could estimate with time, but it varies. You could go and poke the thing with a regular meat thermometer when it gets "close." That allows the juices to run out, plus you have to open the dome to do it...bad choice.[p]Why not just stuff the probe in and let it go, monitor the meat for internal temp, and once it starts climbing past the plateau, watch a little closer because in an hour or two it'll be done.[p]Mike in MN

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Mike in MN,[p]Well, it's not exactly the only way. I rarely use them. [p]I find that if properly cooked some butts are done at different internal temps than others. I do use temp as a guide but also time, appearance and feel. I like to check the temp in a couple different areas too.[p]I also think that the probe is letting as much juice out as any other probe, but I'm not really concerned about either. It's really not that much.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    drbbq,
    Well, most of us don't make a living by cooking BBQ, so we need something to help us along. For me, a good indicator would be internal temp. Sure, I could manage without the probe, but it simplifies the process. [p]My cooks aren't being scrutinized by a judge. Well maybe, I have to keep my lovely wife happy (not EZ) but I have found a combination of smoke, cook temp, seasoning, mopping, and internal temp that seems to work. [p]What would be the "average" temp you would consider done?[p]By "feel" what are you looking for? [p]Mike in MN

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Mike in MN,[p]I just didn't want the guy to think it was the only way. My average temp is probably 190 for pulling, sometimes even less. [p]As for feel I go mainly by the way the probe goes in and then I'll just grab the exposed meat and kind of squeeze it too.[p]What temp is done for you?
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    drbbq,
    200° would be my choice. As expected, mine have been above and below that number, and they read different if you probe em at different locations. Not an exacting science.[p]I like it when you go to pick up the meat and it wants to fall apart right there on the grill....then you know you have a winner![p]Generally I maintain a dome temp of 225°, and I start the meaton a "non preheated" grill. Once I get enough fire going, and the temp starts rising, I throw my wood chips/chunks on and it has the effect of dousing the fire....it smokes like mad, and then I put my meat on. It starts out with a real cold, slow smoke. It takes almost an hour to get up to the 225° number. [p]Have a nice night! My lovely wife is calling for me...time for a walk, and then out to late dinner.[p]Mike in MN

• MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    The last several times I cooked butts the meat was very tender and moist at 185-188*. The Guru did the temp control.[p]MR H[p]Howard in Bartow