Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butterfly Whole Chicken

Roundman
Roundman Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,[p]I'm new to the BGE and I readed a few post about cooking whole chicken. The method was something like buterflying (Not Called That) I would like to know how accomplish this method of cooking a chicken. Any help from this forum would be great. This will be my fourth meal since I got my BGE Monday. I lover it so much, my told me I was gone to cook from now on HA HA HA.

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Roundman,[p]Here you go...it is one of the best ways of doing chicken on the egg in my opinion. Easy, and soooooo good![p]spatchcock-chick.html[p]This one was my first one...used Tony Chachare's cajun seasoning and cooked it direct on a raised grid at 350° for about an hour.[p]Have fun,
    Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]TNW's Spatchcock Chicken Instructions and Recipe[/ul]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    QBabe,[p]Duh...here's the pic...(I hope!)[p]spatchcock-chick.jpg
  • tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    Roundman, "spatchcocked" chicken, maybe? Just remove the backbone, spread the chicken out, and apply a lot of rub. Nakedwhiz.com has step by step pictures how to do this...

• Roundman,
    Yes, some call it Spatchocked, but I find that hard to say, so Butterflied is just fine.
    Prefferably get about a 4lb broiler/fryer, the idea behind that weight is that the white mean and dark will be done at about the same time, wheras with a heaver bird the legs and theighs will be done at a different time as the breasts. Anyway. . . . to prepare. . .
    Using a big sharp knife or kitchen shears, cut the backbone on either side and remove it (keep it for stock later!)
    Take it to the sink and rinse it good, to get all the funkyness off.
    Bend it open, you'll hear a pop or crack if your lucky.
    Take a pearing knife and slit on the inside on either side of the keel bone and remove that. Its kind of a pain, but you'll thank me later when it come time for serving. Pat dry and give it an oil rub down. At this point I usually use a spoon and put mango sauce under the skin of the breasts, legs, and theigs. The skin keeps it from leaving or burning, and keeps the meat moist while adding flavor. You can use just about anything under the skin like curry paste or crushed garlic. Anyway, then rub liberally with your favorite spice mix. I use Dizzy Pig's raging river, Tsunami Spin, or RedEye express. Get you egg up to 350 with a raised grid and cook direct for about an hour.
    Its wordy but pretty easy to do. you guests will wonder what they've been doign so whong to their chickens all these years that it never came out that good!