Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack of Pork Dinner Party

Options
Florida Grillin Girl
Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,972
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first time cooking a Rack of Pork. It was 5.5 lbs., rubbed with fresh garlic, fresh rosemary and olive oil. Egged at 400 dome til 145, rested 20 minutes. These were big meaty chops when sliced.

P1312238-1.jpg

I also made Sea Bass Peperonata from the "Emeril at the Grill" cookbook.

The sea bass was egged and then covered in a sauteed mixture of onion, red, yellow and green bell peppers, kalamata olives and green olives, garlic, anchovy filets and capers. Garnished with fresh basil. It was fabulous and matched perfectly with the buttery sea bass.

P1312239.jpg

While the pork was cooking, I egged up some jalepeno poppers using my new jalepano corer (Thanks Zippy!). I rigged up a way to make them stand upright using 3 skewers.

P1312237.jpg

P1312240.jpg

The dinner plated with jasmine rice and roasted brussel sprouts with bacon:

P1312241.jpg

I made Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie for dessert.

P1302233.jpg

It was a nice dinner with good friends, and I have leftovers!

Please tell me what is up with photobucket????

Faith
Tampa
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Looks great Faith! How much snow did you get? :lol:
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    A wonderful looking meal Faith

Ross
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    It's seriously cold here, but no complaints from me!!!

I hope everyone is hanging in there in the snow storm!

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• PapaB
    PapaB Posts: 146
    Options
    Awesome lookin cook, Faith. You have my curiosity up on the skewers...what did you do?
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hi PapaB,

I used 3 skewers to make a standing triangle of the peppers, then I just stood them right on the grid so they stayed upright and the filling did not run out. I got that idea from Zippy too.

Faith
    Tampa

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Faith such a pity you are so far away...... :( ...your cooking is FABULOSO!!!!!! ;)
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Hey Faith,

Very, very nicely done. Spectacular seems appropriate.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    WOW!That's like watching a cooking show.Great Job, it is all really beautiful!I think you just won "POST of the DAY"!!! :)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Beautiful Faith.
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Wow, what an awesome cook! I wish I was on the guest list.

I really like the rack of pork. You get the best of the loin and ribs. Nothing can beat that.

Thanks for sharing your pics.
  • double L
    Options
    Call me naive but I have never seen or heard or a rack of pork til I feasted my eyes on yours. Is there some site that tells how to prepare and egg one Thanks Lenard
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Faith, your guest were so furtunate to have you as a hostesss. That is a superb meal. Beautiful pics.

Hope to meet you at the upcoming Sunshine fest.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Hi Faith,
    That is terriffic! Publix has Pork loin roast on sale starting tomorrow, so it will definetely be on my shopping list. I love the skewers trick, I've tried sticking the little buggers through the grid, supporting them with toothpicks, and just letting them lay down and leak! You have a perfect solution! ;) .
    No more cremated poppers! :P
    I buy the crabmeat stuffing that Publix uses in their stuffed Tilapia, salmon wheels, etc., and use it in both hot and sweet peppers. Delicious! :cheer:
    Try it, if you haven't already.

Capt. Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Double L, it is actually a 1/2 of a crown roast of pork. The 2 racks are tied together to make the crown roast. I bought this at Costco in December, the only time I have seen it there all year. Google rack of pork and you will get all kinds of ideas.

Capt. Frank - I shop at Publix. I have not tasted their crabmeat stuffing but see it at the fish counter. I didn't know you could just buy the stuffing. Look for a post about the lunches that the Tampa eggers have a few times a year. We would love to meet you.

Faith

• 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    Can you share the chocolate bourbon Pecan pie recipe?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Wow Faith!

Great cook. I love sea bass ut have screwed it up every time I have cooked it. Ingredients sound awesome.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Thanks Faith, I will definetly try to get in on that lunch, sounds like fun! :)
    You have to ask at the fish counter for the stuffing, it is not out on display by itself, but they will sell it to you, not cheap, about $8.00/lb, but you just need about 1/2 lb to do 20+ poppers [ I mix w/shredeed cheddar and bread crumbs, cream cheese, but use your imagination]!
    See you in Melbourne,

Capt. Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Faith, that is an outstanding looking rack o pork!! I've done a simialr with the herbs crispy like that. People went nuts over it. Nice job!!
    The sea bass, I bet, was delish!!
    I have to have the recipe for that pie!!!
    I'm still looking for that corer!!
    Thanks for the delish post!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie:

1 Pie crust of your choice
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup light corn syrup
    1/2 cup butter
    4 eggs, beaten
    1/4 cup bourbon
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/4 tsp salt
    6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
    1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a small saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, and butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cool slightly.

In bowl combine eggs, bourbon, vanilla and salt. Mix well. Slowly pour sugar mixture into egg mixture, whisking constantly. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Pour into pie shell.

Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until set and golden. May be served warm or chilled.

I made it exactly as the recipe said except I put the chocolate chips in the bottom of pie pan before pouring mixture in - I read that somwhere and had that in my notes. I don't think you can mess it up. I served it warm with vanilla ice cream and the concensus was "awesome".

Faith

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Faith:

My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail? :huh: :ermm:

Great looking meal (except for those brussel sprouts things...but at least you tried to help them by using some bacon).

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Faith, Very nice post. I bet those pork chops were juicy and flavor full and yummie. The bass must have been the same way with all that goodness on top. Every bite must have been mmmmmmmmm mm good. You are a very good cook and a wonderful egghead. :P ;):) Tim
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :woohoo: beautiful meal, Faith
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Wow Faith...Fabulous looking dinner. I think I would even try the Sea Bass...it all looks incredible..nice job. :side: :lol:
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    What a fabulous meal!!!!

You really outdid yourself.

I am going to have to look for that fish recipe.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

BobS, I will be happy to email you the Sea bass recipe if you want it.

Faith

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Florida Grillin Girl wrote:
    Thanks everyone.

BobS, I will be happy to email you the Sea bass recipe if you want it.

Faith

Faith,

You must have been reading my mind!

I already copied your description and went looking for recipes to get a handle on the quantities and preparation, but getting the real thing would be great.

The recipes I saw were generally designed as cooking everything in a foil pouch. Did Emeril already modify the recipe for the grill or did you do it?

Again,I have to say it looks wonderful - everything - but for me, the money picture was the fish!
  • double L
    Options
    Thanks for the response I gather your name is Faith you sure do some good things with the egg. Lenard
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    BobS, Emeril's recipe is for the grill. I used a 2 lb. piece of sea bass which is larger than what the recipe calls for, so I had to figure that out myself. I cooked the topping inside on the stove ahead of time. I will email you the exact recipe.