Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cast iron grid

Options
MA egger
MA egger Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my egg for Christmas and have become hooked on the forum, one of the most active I've seen. I've been looking at some of the photos posted and notice that some folks have cast iron grids and I'm getting an inferiority complex when I look at my standard issue grid.

Should I be saving my pennies to buy one of these, or should I get the instant read thermometer instead, or in fact, any other gadget (I already have a place setter which seems essential).

thanks,

JPY

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Get the Instant Read Therm first without a doubt.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I don't use mine often. The thermapen would be my choice if I were spending the money and had neither.

The cast iron grid is really nothing more than a novelty. A thermapen will make you a better cook.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Oh, I don't know. I have a Thermapen and rather wish I hadn't spent the money. OTOH, I love searing on the CI. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ThunderBunny
    Options
    Cast iron is nice for searing, though. Besides, before long you'll be spending an ungodly amount of money on accessories.
  • Fidel
    Options
    What does it do to make better food? Yes, it makes pretty little lines on a steak. Cosmetic only.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Rod,
    While I agree with the Thermapen purchase first I really have to disagree about your statement of the cast iron being a novelty - at least for your main steak grilling egg. OTOH my thread this last weekend of using a spider along with my small BGE CI hanging below shows a large egg can double for a large and small combo.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mnwalleye
    Options
    Maverick E-73 before both!!!
  • Fidel
    Options
    What does it do that the standard grid can't -- aside from the cosmetics (which admittedly have a place in presentation).
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I agree both hold the meat/whatever at a uniform distance from the coals. I do BELIEVE that the cast iron gets hotter and therefore transfers more direct heat to the meat/whatever. And lastly - yet probably first and foremost in my mind are those seared lines! Appearance at presentation is important to my way of thinking.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    To get a Maverick ET-73 instead or before a Thermapen is possibly the worst advice I have ever seen on this forum.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    I dont think the CI grid adds anything other that pretty grill marks. And that's not a bad thing. I just think once you get past the afore mentioned "novelty" of it, theres not a difference in texture or flavor of the finished product.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    thermapen can really improve your cooks. after that a raised grill setup is a must. for cheap a second grid and two fire bricks to raise your grill, more expensive but nice, an adjustable rack from the ceramic grill store. only benefit i see with the castiron grid is that you can sear better at lower temps than when searing on the regular grids, thats a plus with other grills that cant get as hot as an egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FF/Medic Egghead
    Options
    So is the instant read digital a lot faster than my regular old dial thermometer? I take it I should buy one.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    I like my CI grid, but it's not a necessary item. It's great for high-temp grills. It does make incredible LOOKING food, and I have noticed fewer problems with fish sticking to my CI grid, than to my standard grid. But that may be because I haven't cooked fish on my standard grid in quite a while, and am more experienced.

I have a cheapo instant-read digital thermometer that suits me just fine, for now. Some day I'll buy a thermapen. But I have two CI grids (a large one, and a small one to set down on my spider). Maybe it's because I just don't use a thermometer very often...at least not in applications that would benefit from a REALLY fast response. I use my wired probe thermometers far more often than my instant-read.

This salmon was cooked last week on a CI grate. Doneness was determined by the "poke test" rather than a thermometer. It LOOKS good. It also tasted good. It probably would have tasted just as good on a standard grid.
    IMG_4704.jpg
  • MA egger
    Options
    Man, I've got to stop reading the forum at work. This salmon has got me slavering on the keyboard. Thanks for all the input, I think I'll get a thermapen first and then think CI.
  • Louisiana Redneck
    Options
    When it comes to the Eggcessories, Get as many as you can responsibly afford. The more and deversified the better but remember, it really doesn't take anything else to make the best food around other than the basics.