Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornish hens - spatchcock or not?

Options
Bash
Bash Posts: 1,011
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to be cooking up some hens tomorrow. 2 of them weigh 2.75 pounds (I'll be cooking 4 of them).

Anyone have input on whether it would be better to spatchcock them or not? I'm going to use the medium, so I'm hoping to do them as is, not flay them out.

Thanks,
Richard

Comments

• Louisiana Redneck
    Options
    Spatchcock, cooks eveningly and consistantly. Easy to control temp and fun to cook.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The only reason not to spatchcock is if using a stuffing.
    Spatchcock cooks even...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    We like them both ways splatcocked but also beer butt style using these ceramic Willy's chicken sitters.
    IMG_0851.jpg

A small juice can can also work.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I cook whole birds non spatchcock style often.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hi Ron,
    I like the Looks of a chicken or C. hen sitting up proud. I may have spatchcocked on chicken but still prefer the looks of em upright. :laugh:

I'm a Kook, ask anyone at my pub. :woohoo:

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Bash
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. ;)

Since I'm doing 4 of them, I will try two spatchcocked, and two whole. That way I can compare methods in one cook.

I'm looking forward to this cook! :)
  • RRP
    Options
    hope you like them as much as we do - neat that each person has their own bird! Back last month Kroger had a big sale of Tyson Cornish Hens that were packaged 2 for 5 bucks!!! We bought a dozen of them for eatin and freezin! In fact a couple of them are on our menu for this Sunday!
  • Bash
    Options
    I picked these up frozen at Kroger last night for 2 (2.75 lbs) for ~ $5.75. Just over $2/lb. If we like them, I'll go pick up some more and leave them frozen.

Man I need to buy a freezer for the basement!
  • RRP
    Options
    yup - the 2.75 pound twin packs are the same I was talking about, but ours were $5 even. One thing I caught though was you needed to make sure the two birds looked about the same size. Some of those pre-packaged duals from Tyson had a bigger bird on one side and a sparrow on the other...yet every one said the package weighted 2.75#... :ermm: can we say...water added to achieve EXACT weight? :whistle: