Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm all shook up

Options
Boilermaker Ben
Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited November -1 in Off Topic
The wife jolted awake at 4:00 this morning and promptly woke me. The windows were rattling, floor was shaking, and there was a deep rumbling sound. In my sleep-befuddled state, I told my wife "oh man, that's a HUGE snow plow...or an earthquake" and promptly went back to sleep. Turns out it WAS an earthquake.

We don't get those very often in the Chicago area...certainly the first I've ever felt. 3.8 magnitude quake out west of the suburbs, about 25-30 miles from where we live. No major damage, no injuries, just a lot of startled people...and cows...probably some startled cows.

Comments

• never felt one, and we have them out here (boston area). in fact, we are overdue for the big one i think.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    We had one here in Georgia 6 or so years ago at about 5:50 am. I had just got out of bed and was walking to the bathroom when I felt it. I honestly thought my knees were just a little wobbly and maybe I was a touch hungover. Weird sensation. I don't remember what it was on the scale, but it was a minor quake. Only one I have ever experienced. Had I not been awake already I don't think we would have even noticed it.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Southern Illinois had one last year that did some damage as far away as Louisville. My parents said they felt that one all the way up here in Chicago, but my wife and I slept through it. I might have slept through this one, if my wife hadn't woken me up, but that's more a comment on my sleep patterns than on the strength of the quake.

They say that the big fault in the midwest (New Madrid) is overdue for the big one too, but that wouldn't affect us much all the way up here.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    This was definitely stronger than a "wobbly knees" sensation. I was pretty groggy, but things were definitely rattling. I'm sure I would have felt it a little stronger if I had been on my feet.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Spooky, Guys! :ohmy:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    reply contents removed - Snopes says much of what I shared wasn't factual - sorry everybody!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    What are you "The Darkness of Death"? Movie?

Mike
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Ah yes, Snopes, Google's BS meter.

What on earth did you post in response to a thread about an earthquake in Illinois that had you deleting it due to Snopes?

On a side note, did you feel the earthquake down there? My sister-in-law in Pekin said they didn't feel it.