Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Catfish - couple pix

Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fired up the Large last night for a good cold weather cook. Last intentional snow pix I promise ;)
IMG_5946.jpg

Added somem catfish "nuggets" in a cast iron skillet
IMG_5948.jpg

IMG_5950.jpg

Did a couple of pounds of them and they were great. Thanks again YB for the "how to."

Comments

• NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Hey Dave,

Good lookin' cook. I didn't get out after my early morning plow... the wind was howling at ~30 to 40 mph till bed time just didn't care to fight it, We'll dig out today hopefully in some sunshine and lesser winds.

Good luck,
  • Gandolf
    We're still getting a pretty good wind gust once in a while here. Good Luck!
  • Don't stop posting those snow pictures, it just reminds me why we moved down here in Fl. almost 16 years ago. Nice looking cooks there Dave.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Dave, Looks great, love catfish!! That pic is sweet!! It's a first, for me, to see snow that high around a stoked egg! I love it!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Great post and nice cook. I'll have to try that sometime. :P Tim

I love catfish! ;)
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I think good blacken fish is better than a good blacken steak. Unfortunately, I'm hit and miss on fish. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • I love seeing the egg dominate the snow!
  • :) nice fish, Gandolf. What seasoning did you use? Details, please!! (It will take your mind off the snow :lol: )
  • This is a very good idea. Used to do this on my weber with my cast iron skillets.

Just cant be done indoors without and industrial blower, and alas, I dont have one of those

Will be picking one of those skillets up and doing this again very soon.

thanks for the reminder.
  • Gandolf
    YB gave me this recipe a year or so ago. It is always exellent! Give it a try, I'm sure you'll love it.

BLACKENED CATFISH (CAJUN STYLE)
    Printed from COOKS.COM

Cook outdoors: 1/2 lb. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted.

SEASONING MIX:

3/4 tsp. white pepper
    1/2 tsp. thyme
    1 tbsp. paprika
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. onion powder
    3/4 tsp. black pepper
    1/2 tsp. oregano
    2 1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. red pepper (cayenne)

Preheat cast iron skillet on outdoor-cooker at least 10 minutes, until a white ash forms in skillet bottom. Thoroughly combine seasoning mix in a small bowl. Dip fillets in melted butter so that both sides are well coated. Then sprinkle seasoning mix generously and evenly on both sides of fillets, putting it in by hand.
    Place in hot skillet and add 1 tablespoon of butter over the top of fillets. (Caution - butter will flame.) Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side until charred. Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

Serves 6.
  • I haven't cooked blackened fish for a very long time. Think it is about time. Nice.

Mike