Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fridges and Stoves

RGBHV
RGBHV Posts: 1,318
edited November -1 in Off Topic
It's been a long time since we bought a fridge and stove.

We're planning a kitchen reno and I've looked around a bit. It seems that the styles we like, require us to mortgage our first born. I must have missed a few decades of price increases. Ha! Ha!

We like the flush mount fridges and the dual fuel stoves. We like the knobs on the top rather than the front, but there only seem to be a few models that offer this unless you go with a gas cook top and separate oven.

Any comments, recommendations, directions, comparisons would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael
(RGBHV)

Comments

• Michael,

I'll call you next week. I have a plan.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Do NOT go with a counter depth fridge. The doors have to be all the way open to pull out the drawers, and you have to hold the doors out that far.

You give up a lot of space to get that flush look. I'll give you mine if you come drag it out of here. I paid about $3000 for it and have hated it since day one.
  • all i can say is my fridge, DW, and oven all crapped out on us at 9 years old. whatever you get, don't expect any more fifteen twenty year old appliances like your parents had. we didn't buy cheap stuff, and it still failed on us.
  • RGBHV
    Thanks Steve!

Until I read stripsteak's post, I thought this would be the last set of appliances I bought until they carted me off to the old folks home. Now I'm not so sure.

There are a lot of consumer grade appliances. Then there seems to be a jump right into the professional grade, but there doesn't seem to be a middle ground. Maybe I'm just missing something or haven't done enough research.

Since we got married, we've been living with consumer grade appliances and accepted their limitations- (BTW - they have lasted a long time and with the exception of the ice maker there have been few failures).

As mentioned above, we assumed that this would be one of our last appliance purchases, so we wanted to get something that better suited our lifestyle.

The question is, are professional grade units worth (or can I justify) twice the price of consumer units? (especially if they only last a decade)

The other factor (even more important) is that I don't know what the reliability of these products anymore. I've heard/read reports about reliability, repairs and service (or lack thereof) that aren't limited to one grade versus the other.

If you were to short list a group of appliances, what brands would be on the short list. I'm not looking to compare brands on the forum, so feel free to e-mail me any recommendations.

Michael
  • RGBHV
    Hmmm.

I'll have to try that out with my wife standing by my side.

Somehow, I don't think I'm going to win that battle with the wife. She's pretty adamant about it.

It's a lot like the lively discussions we have about moving. I'd be happy moving, but my wife has grown roots and has no intention of moving.

Michael
  • RGBHV
    I guess it's a lot like other products.

They don't make em like they used to.

You did burst my bubble though. I had hoped that this would be the last set of appliances we bought before they carted me off to the old folks home.

Michael
  • RGBHV
    What would be the difference between between opening the drawers on a flush mount versus the deeper more size fridge? I would think that you'd have to open the drawers further with the deeper fridge.

Would this be an issue with both styles or a design flaw specific to a certain model.

I'll need to investigate.

I'm not sold on one particular style, but I will certainly keep that in mind when selecting a fridge.

Michael
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    my votes for a klondike double door fridge with the external cooling unit in the basement :laugh: would look real sharp with my 30 year old blue indoor/outdoor kitchen carpeting B) my lacanche range is worth several stoves but there isnt anything on it i couldnt fix, really basic simple oldfashioned design. a 7000 dollar stove looks odd in a 500 dollar kitchen, it needs a klondike fridge :laugh: it also needs a kitchen :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RGBHV
    I'm not familiar with Klondike.

The Lacanche ranges look very nice.

Thanks for the info.

Michael
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    oldicebox.com klondikes are custom built old fashioned wooden fridges ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • you have priorities my friend. nothing incongruous about a 7000 dollar stove in a 500 dollar kitchen as long as it gets used. scene plenty of 250,000 dollar kitchens where the stove never gets used.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    RGBHV,

When we did ours I ended up getting a consumer gas range with a warming drawer (could only find this in a kenmore, didn't want kenmore but knock on wood it has worked like a champ for the last five years)and then put an electric convection oven under my island...if you can go with the two ovens...I did go expensive on the convection one, but with the consumer gas range I ended up getting both for about the same price as a dual fuel (though they may have come down in price since and they may even have a consumer model by now). When we looked they were all the big hulky commercial models and I didn't want to lose the cabinet or counter space.

And the warming drawer has been great at the holidays keeping mashed potatoes and things hot while I finish cooking or carve up the birds....If you entertain at all look into this unless you need that bottom drawer for storage.
  • RGBHV
    Thanks Chris.

We've never had a warming drawer. (usually just put things in the oven at low (or no extra) heat.

I'm sure you're right about having two ovens- it's probably cheaper (or the same price) as a higher end stove - I think it becomes a question of the amount of real estate required for 2 ovens. (stacked or side by side).

Definitely something to consider.

Michael
    (RGBHV)
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    For me I just didn't need that bottom drawer to store stuff...love that it is a warmer...
  • Counter Depth Fridges are not an efficient appliance particularly if you're an Egger. If you have the option, measure the depth of the fridge you like to the door and subtract the depth of the door from that number. Then talk to your cabinet person and ask for an increased depth cabinet to go over the top. The depth of the cabinet should equal your fridge number. Do not include the door of the cabinet when measuring. Side skirting then can be cut to your depth and moldings applied. I had it done and it is awesome and the fridge looks custom.

Dual fuel is ok but to me over rated. I would go with convection option first.
  • RGBHV
    Convection for sure...

You say counter depth fridges are not an efficient appliance - I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Michael