Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAPP Torch Help

Options
Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does cold weather affect MAPP torches? I am having trouble with keeping mine lit. It acts like it is running out of gas in that it runs a little while and then just runs out of gas. I had left the cannisters and hose assembly outside and it got down to 25 last night. Should that be affecting it? I put some propane that had been inside on it as well but that did not run either. Do you think the handle assembly is freezing up?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    While I live in Florida and normally do not have to deal with cold weather, 34 tonight I have read several comments over the years that the cold weather does not allow the MAPP to work like normal. I have used it for 5 years and my only problem has been the spark unit dying so I use a welders flint.
  • 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    I keep mine inside because I've noticed this in the past. Let it warm up and it'll be fine.
  • mnwalleye
    Options
    I have used mine when it was -26 outside with no problems.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    I've had that problem on occasion. I don't know why but I found that if I back down on the pressure it burns better when this starts happening. It's like the flash point changes when it gets cold and blows itself out. I have no scientific anything to back it up but it works for me.
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    Options
    no problem with cold, but did have problems if the end got wet.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Mine has been outside since the day it came home.

I used it tonight (I'm also in the ATL area). Worked just as if it were 80&deg out. I don't think the cold is your issue unless you had moisture in there and some ice interfering with gas or air flow.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Hey Eye guy,

You not interested in eggin up a storm this weekend?

Nice group headed north to Crosslake to raise Hell! :woohoo:
  • mnwalleye
    Options
    Yeah I saw that, and Molly asked. I would but I am on call for work this week. Guess I will have to wait for eggfest in Little Canada.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    We'll meet then!! :):)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Well, I brought it inside and let it all warm up or dry out depending on your theory. It appears to work fine now. I will keep it inside from now on. However, I too had my guys up north using their torchs in below zero weather and in the damp Pocono air. Never saw this problem.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I use mine in below zero weather without issue. However, when it 'seems like' the bottle is getting empty pull it out and see if the flame recovers.

If it does, as long as the tank is not low or empty, then you are burning up the available oxygen inside the egg, which is not uncommon.

Pick up a small personal fan and use it to get more oxygen to the lump and the MAPP flame.

fan.jpg

You won't have to turn the gas volume down or worry about the cold. You will find it also helps when the temperature is warm.

GG
  • tjl5709
    Options
    Give it a good shake. Work for me when real cold. Helps build alittle vapor pressure.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I use propane in my torch here in New England and have had no problems with it