Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ot computer virus and photobucket

Options
2»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    no, im the last aol user on earth :laugh: checked one with symantec to see if they were phoy alerts trying to get me to click on it. will bring up another screen selling you a program that will fix the whole thing, buy that and what im seeing is from googling is that they charge your card several hundred bucks for the 70 dollar purchase
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    What a pain in the *ss.
    I have gotten to the point where my 3 primary computers at home are Mac and they all have the same size main drive. I can now fire wire any of the 3 together to clone the hard drives if needed. My only PC laptop I have a back up drive made with "ghost" to back things up. I have wasted so many hours in the past hacking away trying to fix bugs or hostile software issues I had to do it. Spare hard drives are so cheap.
    Wish you luck and feel the pain,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    what is that? a small tile saw?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

There will always have to be changes.

I am no IT guy, but your computer is pretty vulnerable running SP1. You really need to be on SP3.

When I went through the Service Pack updates it didn't affect any of the programs. What wouldn't run when you went to SP2?

I am not sure but I think SP2 has to be installed then SP3, someone with certification hopefully will jump in and let us know.

I put up a link for TrendMicro free scan above. Go run it and see if you have any malware/virus/trojan's on your system. If not then go do your MS Windows updates and get your OS system current.

Don't install and run 2 anti virus programs.

Kent
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Why not just update the service packs? MSE has proven to be nice little program.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

:woohoo: :woohoo:
    No you are not the last. I just finished fixing my son-in-laws, dad's machine, he uses AOL too.

What hit my machine two weeks ago was a 'official' looking message that sounded like what you just described. I couldn't find a way out of the warning screen so I have to go into Task Manager and close down the program (screen).

I then began a long process of checking the system out. In my case there were no trojan's or malware.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

4" Dremel saw which I am going to put up on eBay. For some reason some of these are getting close to $400 bucks, I am guessing collectors. I used it when I was building and flying RC aircraft.

I sure don't need it for that amount of money.

Kent
  • fishlessman
    Options
    its an engineering program for designing high pressure vessels and chambers, go to hhengineers.com to see what im talking about, my site is as outdated as my puter but youll get the idea :laugh: the sites not located from my puter so its safe. it was supposed to work on pack 2 but the people i bought the program from turned out to be using me as a guinnipig, took them several more months before they got it to work on the pack two and it was because of their archaic key system
    fukahwee maine

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

That answers my question below. Does the software have a dongle for protection?

If your computer is somewhat current you could install another drive and had a dual boot machine. However, there are some pretty nice new machines pretty cheap if you watch for the promotions.

Kent
  • fishlessman
    Options
    theres another one that looks like this one and is easy to fix called malware defense. this 2010 version kills your task manager and system restore right off at the beginning
    fukahwee maine

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Thanks for the tip.

Mike
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Way back I bought a program something like that - expensive and me being the guinea pig. I still an old machine dedicated to that program.

Kent
  • fishlessman
    Options
    to upgrade a program i use weekly is 6000 dollars upfront and another 1300 yearly, might see if i can work a deal with them as i see their prices have dropped. changing packs or even the whole computer is the cheap part, last time i taked with them they wanted me to pay 4 years of the upgrade fee or 10000 dollars to start over, pissed me off big time, been using their software for decades
    fukahwee maine

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

I would love to get my hands on one of the little bastards that make this stuff.

I got hit with one that disabled all of the antivirus sites. I could go almost anywhere else but not to the places I needed to.

Give the trendmicro free program a try.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    If the version of the engineering software works for what you need, just take the computer off line and use it for that software.

Is the virus/trojan affecting the running of the engineering program?

For the internet and other programs you can get something new for close to 300-400 bucks that will work fine.

• rib rangler
    Options
    i too belive i got a virus from photobucket!!it hit my computer hard.. keep anti-virus updated!!