Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib- Modified Mad Max

Options
Sam-I-Am
Sam-I-Am Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This was my first shot with a prime rib on the Egg. After looking at loads of suggestions and looking at the Mad Max method, I decided to a modified Mad Max:

Took a 6 lb 3 bone prime rib and let it sit at room temp for about 1 1/2 hours. I seasoned it with olive oil, fresh ground pepper (after toasting the peppercorns), fresh tyme, salt, and rosmary.

IMG_0062.jpg

I set up the Egg with standard BGE charcoal, and after starting the coals I put some soaked cherry wood on top. Using the plate setter, I got the BGE up to 500. I put the prime rib right on top of the grate bone side down and put in my meat thermometer. I then played with the vents to get the temp down to 250 which took about 1 hr. It took a while to get the ventilation just right. I was lucky because I think this extended time added to some additional sear to the outside. (Actual temp seen on the left)
IMG_0064.jpg
IMG_0068.jpg

I took it off at 122 and let it rest for 40 min (We were going to eat during halftime...). (2 hrs 45 min total time) I put it in the oven to get a little rewarming at 225 for about 15 min. It turned out great.
IMG_0070.jpg
IMG_0072.jpg[img size=150][/img]

Comments