Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Good Eats and Better help!

Lanier JimLanier Jim Posts: 504
edited 10:25AM in EggHead Forum
It's been a few days but Super Bowl dinner was great...and I got some great help - Rosey "Da Bassett Hound". BTW - it's been terrible around here with the wife being from Louisiana...and I had the Colts! She's been celebrating like it's the Saints first Super Bowl win! :) Good eats - boston butt went for 8 hours - did some Cajun Corn as the wife calls it and just had a ton of BBQ with the House Famous Roasted Red Jalapeno Sauce. Beautiful day here Sunday and I pitty you guys in the cold stuff.

Rosey monitored the Egg temp
z1.jpg

Until she got bored about 30 minutes later :laugh:
z2.jpg

About 6 hours later - I had to cut off a chunk for Rosey and I to "taste test" out on the deck.
z4.jpg

After the chunk I stole had barked back up enough for nobody to notice - the butts were pulled and the corn went on.
z5.jpg
z6.jpg

Hope you enjoy - I know Rosey, me, and the family sure enjoyed it.

LJ
·

Comments

• rsmdalersmdale Posts: 2,472
    Nice cook Jim, you need to calm that dog down.I hate to say it but I was pulling for the Saints also!!I watched Reggie Bush play at USC and am a big fan.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
    ·
  • rsmdalersmdale Posts: 2,472
    Nice cook Jim, you need to calm that dog down.I hate to say it but I was pulling for the Saints also!!I watched Reggie Bush play at USC and am a big fan.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
    ·
  • Looks great Jim!
    ·
  • Hey - being a Saints fan and being married to one is a totally different thing. I'm telling you - this Cajun I married is off her rocker when it comes to LSU or the Saints!

Bush in college at USC - that boy was lights out! One exciting player...

LOL - yeah Rosey is a ball of energy. :)

LJ
    ·
  • Hey Lee - you got a good mustard base sauce recipe...a good ol' South Carolina recipe?

BTW - CW coming to town soon...going to hit the lake and wet a line.

LJ
    ·
  • Jim, I have been using Williamson Brothers Mustard BBQ Sauce. I served up some chopped chicken BBQ last night at work and you would have thought these people had never seen food before! They loved it. I too though would like to start making my own sauce. I saw the recipe for the long cook stuff here on the forum and was scared off but now beginning to think I might give it a try.
    ·
  • What's up dude? Chopped chick with a mustard base sauce sounds good. Oldest son asked about the sauce so I thought I'd give it a try. I'll have to pick up some W. Bros tomorrow if I can find it. Heck - I don't think I've ever looked for a mustard based sauce before. Being from Highpoint, NC - I kind of have vinegar in my blood. :laugh:

LJ
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    I'm with you cuz!Nice butts,a little vinegar and red pepper sauce!If you want a good mustard based ,store bought...Cattlemen's Gold ain't bad.Cattleman's Steakhouse is the BEST brisket sauce I've ever tried,but then again,beef ain't BBQ!!!! :laugh:
    ·
  • 8 hours? What temp?
    ·
  • Hungry - about 300-325 most of the time with a drip pan and water/vinegar mix. About the last hour or so - temp dropped to 250-260 area. We stand up the butts to start (got that from a forum member) and then lay them down after they've got some "shrinkage". I"ve got to save some money up to get one of those big eggs. :)

One tasty little thingy we do is get a squirt bottle and mix up about a cup of apple cider vinegar - a cup of warm water - a 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar - and a good tbl spoon of black and cayenne pepper. Just shake up before giving the butts a good showering every couple of hours. It gives the bark a little twang that our family likes.

The meat always comes out moist and I can just pull the bone right out. Very tender but doesn't get "mushy" as the wife says.

LJ
    ·
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    i was told you know someone with a medium for sale there in the gainsville area!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·