Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good Eats and Better help!

Options
Lanier Jim
Lanier Jim Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's been a few days but Super Bowl dinner was great...and I got some great help - Rosey "Da Bassett Hound". BTW - it's been terrible around here with the wife being from Louisiana...and I had the Colts! She's been celebrating like it's the Saints first Super Bowl win! :) Good eats - boston butt went for 8 hours - did some Cajun Corn as the wife calls it and just had a ton of BBQ with the House Famous Roasted Red Jalapeno Sauce. Beautiful day here Sunday and I pitty you guys in the cold stuff.

Rosey monitored the Egg temp
z1.jpg

Until she got bored about 30 minutes later :laugh:
z2.jpg

About 6 hours later - I had to cut off a chunk for Rosey and I to "taste test" out on the deck.
z4.jpg

After the chunk I stole had barked back up enough for nobody to notice - the butts were pulled and the corn went on.
z5.jpg
z6.jpg

Hope you enjoy - I know Rosey, me, and the family sure enjoyed it.

LJ

Comments

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Nice cook Jim, you need to calm that dog down.I hate to say it but I was pulling for the Saints also!!I watched Reggie Bush play at USC and am a big fan.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Nice cook Jim, you need to calm that dog down.I hate to say it but I was pulling for the Saints also!!I watched Reggie Bush play at USC and am a big fan.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Looks great Jim!
  • Lanier Jim
    Options
    Hey - being a Saints fan and being married to one is a totally different thing. I'm telling you - this Cajun I married is off her rocker when it comes to LSU or the Saints!

Bush in college at USC - that boy was lights out! One exciting player...

LOL - yeah Rosey is a ball of energy. :)

LJ
  • Lanier Jim
    Options
    Hey Lee - you got a good mustard base sauce recipe...a good ol' South Carolina recipe?

BTW - CW coming to town soon...going to hit the lake and wet a line.

LJ
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Jim, I have been using Williamson Brothers Mustard BBQ Sauce. I served up some chopped chicken BBQ last night at work and you would have thought these people had never seen food before! They loved it. I too though would like to start making my own sauce. I saw the recipe for the long cook stuff here on the forum and was scared off but now beginning to think I might give it a try.
  • Lanier Jim
    Options
    What's up dude? Chopped chick with a mustard base sauce sounds good. Oldest son asked about the sauce so I thought I'd give it a try. I'll have to pick up some W. Bros tomorrow if I can find it. Heck - I don't think I've ever looked for a mustard based sauce before. Being from Highpoint, NC - I kind of have vinegar in my blood. :laugh:

LJ
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I'm with you cuz!Nice butts,a little vinegar and red pepper sauce!If you want a good mustard based ,store bought...Cattlemen's Gold ain't bad.Cattleman's Steakhouse is the BEST brisket sauce I've ever tried,but then again,beef ain't BBQ!!!! :laugh:
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    8 hours? What temp?
  • Lanier Jim
    Options
    Hungry - about 300-325 most of the time with a drip pan and water/vinegar mix. About the last hour or so - temp dropped to 250-260 area. We stand up the butts to start (got that from a forum member) and then lay them down after they've got some "shrinkage". I"ve got to save some money up to get one of those big eggs. :)

One tasty little thingy we do is get a squirt bottle and mix up about a cup of apple cider vinegar - a cup of warm water - a 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar - and a good tbl spoon of black and cayenne pepper. Just shake up before giving the butts a good showering every couple of hours. It gives the bark a little twang that our family likes.

The meat always comes out moist and I can just pull the bone right out. Very tender but doesn't get "mushy" as the wife says.

LJ
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i was told you know someone with a medium for sale there in the gainsville area!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb