Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting w/Alcohol & Free Gift to Forum Members

2»

Comments

• I recently posted about purchasing and using a Harbor Freight Weed Burner for $12.00.
    It works really well, except for the sparks...
    I'm either going to make a sheet metal shield (garbage can lid?) or try going down through the top of the dome, with lid closed. Anybody try that?
    I think it's cool that Wiley is being so generous.
    It's what makes this forum such a great place!
    I may even decide to try his method...it can't hurt!

*EDIT: Ok, playing with any kind of fire can hurt..
  • In my post a few up from yours, I mentioned my $18 weed burner. It was from Harbor Freight also. I guess I forgot it was only $12.

Works great, but don't press the handle and put it in turbo mode. :woohoo:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

•  
    Kenny, personally speaking, I wouldn't start out using alcohol.

Alcohol, oil & paper towel (napkin) and fire starters will all have an initial spike in temperature which is generated from the initial flame of the starting material. The temperature will drop and begin to climb. During that second climb is where I adjust the settings and work up to my cook temperature, thus not overshooting.

Some folks know about where their settings should be for any given cook and they may adjust the vents before the initial light thus they don't bother or concerned with that initial bump.

If you are interested, here is a visual on using oil & paper towel.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=609698&catid=1

GG
  • I don't think any starting method will cause you to overshoot for a low and slow as long as you control things once the initial start is over. I once did an overnight butt cook that started this way:

I started a chimney full of lump, intending only to let it start up "a little" before dumping it on top of the bed of charcoal I had prepared. I got distracted and when I noticed things, the chimney was in F-14 afterburner mode. I dumped it all out on top of the charcoal, added the plate setter, then the grid, then two butts, then a raised grid, then two more butts. When I closed the lid, the temperature dropped to around 175. I had no trouble controlling it up to 230 and keeping it there. As long as the ceramics aren't hot yet, you should have trouble keeping the temp controlled as the fire builds. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  •  
    Putting the weed burner down the top vent might might work until the flame consumes all the oxygen in the egg.

As the propane goes into the egg without flame and you press that piezo starter button you will be able to help attach the observation deck on the space lab with the folks that went up yesterday. :)

Good sailing.

GG
  • Grandpa,
    I wasn't thinking that I would stick the propane gushing weedburner through the dome top then light it...
    rather just light it with the smallest flame I can get, and quickly stick it through.
    Like I said I haven't tried it yet (and maybe I won't)
    Nah!, who am I kidding? Of course I will! :silly:

One way I sometimes light the egg is I bought a box case of starter fire logs, and took them to my band saw and for half an hour made several hundred starter cubes.
    I think the case box was on sale at like $15.00, putting each individual cube at pennies.
    They work very well, I usually only use 2 at a time.
  •  
    I had a very funny mental picture from your comment, still has me laughing. I enjoyed the moment.

The fire log is a great idea, like fire starters I don't like the residual that is left in the egg. If I do use starters I pull the remains out of the egg once the lump has started.

GG
  • I love the rubbing alcohol method, but really, the syringe isn't necessary. I measure out 2 ounces of the 91% rubbing alcohol into a measuring cup, pour it onto the lump in an 8 inch diameter circle (tracing out just the outline of the circle, not the interior), and then just use my hands to move some pieces of dry lump on top of the circle of wet lump, and then light. So don't be afraid to try this method even if you don't have the syringe.
  • The military doesen't like the high performance wicking T shirts that many military were purchasing with their own funds because of the tendency for for the fabric to melt and increase the severity of the burns.
  • That's the time honored Boy Scout method. Much more than using a bow and some tinder.
  • Man, I gotta tell you that "alcohol" and "free" in the same sentence gets my juices flowing. :)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• that's ok, man. i believe you.
  • Update: I have received a lot of requests for the syringe and stopper kits. I have already given away about a dozen of them and I purchased enough to take care of about 40-50 more people. I still have some left as of right now but at this rate they will most likely be gone within the next few days. I won't ship them for another week or so because I am still waiting on the next batch of syringes to arrive and I need time to pack and mail everything at the post office.

Here are some additional comments to address the questions and feedback that have been posted above in addition to some notes that I received via PM:

Starter cubes, oil napkins, firestarters, etc. DO work. I just choose not to use them because my testing and research indicated that all of these methods generate combustion byproducts which are almost always toxic. They do not burn as hot. They also introduce trace odors to the egg which can taint the smell or flavor of your food and they leave residue behind which can build up inside the egg over time. Even a simple wax candle with an untrimmed wick will generate black soot and odd smells when burnt. This is why fireplace experts tell you never to burn these fuels in your fireplace as they tend to build up in the chimney over time which can lead to a fire. This is also why the makers of these products do not certify them for use in cook stoves or around food. Even products advertised to contain nothing but sawdust and paraffin can actually be made from some low quality or questionable materials which you would not want to lick, smell, or eat.

Of course we aren't concerned with a chimney fire in the egg and I realize that the cumulative effect of firestarters should be fairly small in most cases, but I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my hobbies so I don't like introducing that junk into my egg. This is especially true on a low and slow cook when some firestarters may not burn off completely during the initial warm up - the burnt ends nearest the outside of the egg can smolder for hours. Also, firestarters take up room inside the lump so they leave a gap after they are burnt which can cause lump to shift and lead to reduced airflow during the cook. If you place the firestarters on the bottom then they may not burn as well or light as fast due to reduced airflow, and if you use only one small firestarter then it takes longer for your lump to catch and it may burn unevenly.

The alcohol method allows the lump to be lit evenly in a continuous circle pattern, and by injecting the alcohol down into the lump it will light faster without causing the lump to shift once it has burnt off. It is especially convenient when lighting previously used lump, as you do not need to stir or disturb the lump at all when lighting it so your airflow pockets are preserved. This is why the BBQ GURU made the "golf club" product to allow lump to be lit from the center or bottom when using a torch. Not a bad idea when using mapp or propane but who wants to stand around for 3-5 minutes poking a golf club into the egg or standing over a sparking vortex when you can inject the alcohol, light it, and walk away?

The alcohol method also works perfectly on low and slow cooks. It initially burns very hot for the first minute or so and then it slows down and burns off steadily to leave you with a nice, evenly lit fire which you can control from 200-700 or higher. I always use the same amount of alcohol to light the egg no matter what my desired cooking temperature is.

Once again, I am not saying that this method is the best method for everyone or that other methods don't work. I am just sharing the results of my testing and suggesting that you give it a try if you haven't already done so. If you haven't tried it then don't knock it. I have been using it 3-4 times a week for more than 2 years now, on hot summer days, damp rainy nights, and in cold ice / snow. It works every time, is clean, quick, cheap, free of odors and toxins, safe, and convenient. If your preferred method works better for you then by all means stick with it. And if anyone wants to send me a free mapp torch or gas refill then I will certainly send you a PM with my mailing address. :-)

God bless and safe eggin' to everyone!
  • Brief update on the alcohol starter kits:

The rubber stoppers arrived today from a scientific lab supply company. The syringes were delayed because the medical supply company wanted a prescription before they would ship. I spoke with the owner of the company and convinced him to ship without a prescription because these syringes don't have needles. He asked what I was using them for and he was really confused when I said "to light my big green egg". No further questions were asked and the shipment went out today. :)

So I should be able to pack the kits up this weekend and mail them out early next week. They will go out via USPS First Class mail without tracking so everyone should receive them by Friday 2/19 unless your mailman has an egg and decides to intervene. :)

Send me a PM now if you want in on the free giveaway. We already have a bunch of people on the list so we only have a dozen or so left to hand out. I do not plan to order or giveaway more once these are gone but you can find your own on ebay or the web if you look hard enough.
  • gsgentry
    gsgentry Posts: 128
    So how do we know if we are lucky enough to be on the receiving end of this generous offer?

I'm personally anxious to try this. Saw the video before I even owned an egg and thought "how cool is this"!!!
  • All you need to do is send me a PM via the forum with your mailing address. I will post a note to this thread when they are all gone.
  • Best beer in the world - FREE BEER :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • UPDATE ON 2/12: ALL OF THE KITS ARE TAKEN. I WILL BE SHIPPING SOON. PLEASE DO NOT SEND FURTHER ORDERS.