Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

internet security 2010 virus

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,674
edited November -1 in Off Topic
how do i get rid of that, something i can do or bring the computer in or is it toast
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 63
    I can't find any reputable AV company that recognizes such a virus - Symantec and McAfee, for example, don't recognize that search term. I did spot, but didn't watch, a YouTube flick on removing it. Also found some places that referred to it as spam, fraud, etc.

What are the symptoms?

If its real, usually you can boot into safe mode (reboot, hit the F8 key repeatedly as it starts into Windows and choose safe mode from the list.) Then find your AV software and run a scan. Oh - before you do the above, go into My Computer properties and turn OFF the Restore function (there's a tab with a check box in it.)
  • fishlessman
    it behaves like spam but then starts tricking you into removing your own files with application errors and click on ok to terminate the program screens, even clicking on the x to close the the window terminates things. first thing it attacked was system restore so we will see if it can be shut down now. real pain, keeps with popups of trojans that dont exist etc.
    fukahwee maine

• did you download "microsoft security essentials"?

i had a virus, and it actually worked... hahaha

my computer 'guy' told me to get it and to not bother with any of the for-pay guys anymore (macaffee, norton, etc.)
  • fishlessman
    havent tried it, will look into it, i could email something over and you could see if it works :laugh: all i can find on the web is info on deleting it one file at a time. had avg, installed avast and tried that, tried malwarebytes and it temporarily slowed it down
    fukahwee maine

• maybe if you tell us what site you were visiting when you got the virus we could help you out. :whistle:
  • fishlessman
    this is my work computer, i only go to other sites when im driving and using the puter on the cell phone. hear mass is going to pass a law againtst that, cant understand why
    fukahwee maine

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 63
    Yuk! My daughter caught a similar one when she was in med school. Took me two days to clean it out.

In addition to my previous thoughts, you could try "HiJack This" - it examines everything loaded during the boot process, gives you a report, and permits removal of any instruction thought to be malicious. You may have to look for it - it was bought by a big outfit a couple years ago but I think its still free. I could probably email you a copy if needed. If you aren't sure of what to do with its output, there are user forums that will look at the report and guide you (at least there used to be such forums.)