Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Happy Woosday!

Options
Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I'm playing with macro photography these days and thought I would share some of my resent images . . .

The first 3 are a plastic jar of party toothpicks where the colors and pattern caught my eye. I use them when I wrap something in bacon on the BGE. The colors were enhanced in camera with the picture control set to Vivid.

DSC_0067_640.jpg

DSC_0068_640.jpg

DSC_0074_640.jpg

Peanuts (unsalted), I had a delivery yesterday that came packed in these very clean, minty green peanuts and found an interest in the color and texture.

DSC_0086_640.jpg

DSC_0080_640.jpg

For all my friends that may be snowed in, I will try to get outside and shoot something greener and warmer looking next time.

Have a great day,

Gator

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Getting pretty imaginative there, My Friend! Nice colors.

LR
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Beautiful pics Gator. I can't do that with my point and shoot,,, hell I couldn't do that with your camera either. :blush:
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Lawn Ranger, the macro photography is fun, it makes me look at things from a different perspective. :blink:

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Pat, actually I think you could do it with my camera . . .

DSCN6241_640.jpg

the camera is a Nikon D90, lens is a 105mm Micro Nikkor and lighting is with a Nikon R1 Close up flash unit that is wireless and controlled by the camera.

I have always enjoyed shooting with telephoto lenses, now I am looking in the other direction. I have always found it just as interesting.

Gator

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    That things got more controls than my TV remote and I still haven't figured that one out :whistle: :huh: :laugh:
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    You need a head mount for that device so both hand'll be free to Egg.

Plus, we'd like someone to take your photo wearing the head mount.

Great photos, I love the toothpicks. You have a keen eye for this stuff. Thanks for the pics.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Thanks for posting info on your gear, I was gonna ask about your camera. I dig macro, too...I'm horribly nearsighted, and macro is sort of how I see the world when my vision is uncorrected. Food textures are often stellar in ultra closeup! I need to spend some quality time with my camera; I have an Olympus evolt, and I'm still wrestling with the controls. Funny how it takes 5000 pictures or so before the thing becomes an extension of your arm.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

LOL, I'm still working on the TV remote also. This I can set on Auto if I have to and it will do most of the work for me. These modern cameras are pretty amazing. I found out the other day I could do a double exposure.

DSC_0016_640.jpg

I never imagined doing that with a digital camera. Now if I could only think of something really cool to do with it. :lol:

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

Hahahaha, the head mount would need a neck mount which in turn would need a shoulder mount and so on down the line, thank God for tripods. :lol:

Thanks troutman,

Gator

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Nice pictures...I have the D90 also and really like it.

Larry
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Celeste,

I find it interesting that you are very nearsighted and your comments on seeing a macro world. I too was very nearsighted until I developed premature cataracts due to my diabetes. The cataracts got to the point where I was blind in my right eye and headed that way in the left. Through the marvel of modern science I had surgery and ever since I have been very far sighted. LOL, It beats going blind but still gets a little confusing. I still reach for my glasses when I wake up and they are no longer there. I reach up to take my glasses off and they are not there either. I do need two pairs or reading glasses, one for actual reading and another for things like my compute monitor a little farther out. I miss being able to take my glasses off and being able to see minute details if it is within 6" of my face. I know where you are coming from when it come to being nearsighted. I wore thick glasses from the age of 3 till I was about 56. Maybe that is why I enjoy this type of photography.
    I studied photography in Boston back in the 70's and never could afford to get into it but had some great training. We learned to pre-visualize our shots and to compose in our minds eye then the camera, not in the dark room. It is something we can practice any time or any place, with or with out a camera. Don't make the camera an extension of your arm but one of your eye. Photos are all around us if we can only see them, maybe our nearsightedness can be an advantage to seeing the macro world. LOL, it's all in our heads.

Have a great day,

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Larry, the D90 is new to me and I love it. It is a lot of camera and will be providing plenty of food for thought for a long time. I get out the manual now and then to look for features I have missed or forgotten.

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

I hope others will post their photos, I don't want this to be a one man show. Woosday photo post have always been a welcome free for all with no set topic or format.

This is just what I have been shooting this past week, I would love to see what you have been shooting, past or present. There are a lot of great photographers here, I hope you will contribute.

Gator

• sew quik
    Options
    I just posted this as an example of the weather here this week in Maryland....

I am new and just learning how to link photos to Photobucket....

I also learned photography in Boston where I grew up and developed black and white photos in the darkroom, try explaining that to your kids with their digital video cameras in the back of their ipod nano's.

This is my swim up bar under 30" of snow. the pointy shapes of the barstools with snow are sort of abstract hats...

[img size=150][/img]HPIM1772.jpg
  • sew quik
    Options
    another try....

[img size=150][/img]
  • sew quik
    Options
    here is what the Forum FAQ's say:

Put the image url between bbcode "img" tags (you can use the "Img" button above the post window to start and end the tag).

That is, click the "Img" button, paste the url to your photo, which must already be uploaded to the Internet (e.g. via Photobucket), then click the "Img" button again to close the image tag. You can reference as many images as you like in a post using this method.

Here are the options on Photobucket:

Share by email & IM (view on Photobucket website)
    ?
    Direct link for layout pages (MySpace backgrounds and custom websites)
    ?
    HTML for websites & blogs (MySpace, Hi5, Orkut, Friendster, eBay & more)
    ? Full size
    ? Clickable thumbnail
    IMG for bulletin boards & forums
    ? Full size
    ? Clickable thumbnail
    Flash for websites & blogs (includes the tags you've added)
    ?

Which option should I use? Having failed twice, I clearly need some help....
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi sew quik

Welcome to the forum. There is a little help on posting photos here if you are using photobucket. We all have had to learn to post photos here so don't get discouraged.

Looking forward to seeing your photos,

Gator

• sew quik
    Options
    another try after reading your link....

[img size=150][/img]HPIM1772.jpg
  • Gator Bait
    Options

There is another post that is handy to have book marked. It is a list of helpful sites and pages that has been compiled and maintained by Grandpas Grub. It is Recipes, Links & Tips List.

Again, Welcome to the forum,

Gator

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    In photobucket, copy the "direct link" url (the one that's just the http://blahblahblah)

On the forum, paste that url in, and then highlight it. The click the "Img" button at the boardcode section at the top of the post. That will put the img brackets before and after your url. You can change the picture size to 499 to show a larger pic.
  • sew quik
    Options
    another try after re-reading the post....

HPIM1772.jpg
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Fantastic! I you've got it! ;)

Great photo, makes me cold just to look at it! :cheer:

Gator

• sew quik
    Options
    Gator,

Thanks for the useful links for posting. Looking at my picture as an abstraction (rather than a weather snapshot), I should get out there today and reshoot it with the doughnut hole that is currently in the lower right of the picture more centered and with just the barstools. Better do it before the next storm starts....

You have renewed my long-buried interest in photos as something other than just documentation. I will try and dig out some old ones and get them uploaded (now that I have a Photobucket account courtesy of the EggHead Forum).

regards,

sew quik
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Have you watched this?It is very helpful.

Larry

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d90/index.shtml
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi sew quik

I'm delighted I could help.

I am also delighted that you see photographs as more then just documentation. Photography is a true art form, I don't want to sound like I'm putting down snapshots that record a moment in time, I love them as well and take many that are that type too, but when we start thinking out side the box our creativity can add an exciting element to our pictures. . . I hope. ;)

I'm looking forward to your future photos and good luck with that next storm.

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Larry,

No I have not seen that . . . yet. As soon as I get time I will check it out. It looks very intersting.

Thanks for the link,

Gator

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Those are very vivid pics, what camera?

Mike
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Pat!!!!!! Rolling on the floor laughing!!!!!!! ..
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Mi amigo...please don't expose me!!!!! :laugh: