Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini is great!

Options
TJinBham
TJinBham Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As most of ya know, I don't post much, but have been around since day 2 if not 1 (with JJ, da'Bear, et al). Having work done on the deck, actually a screened porch for the wife, I get a 4 foot overhang for my toys. Anyway, been out of commision for outdoor cooking for 2.5 weeks and going crazy. Tonight managed to get to my mini and did a couple of nice fillets.
People, this is like having a (better than) resturant quality inviroment to do steaks. It saved my sanity till this project is completed.
If you have room & desire, I highly recommend the mini just for situations you don't think about.
As allways, appreciate ya'll more than you know. I'm here, even if silent. hehehe

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    TJinBham,
    Good to hear from you again. Now you know why I got a mini. When you get a chance head up to Guntersville, maybe we an get Brant from Huntsville and a few other Bama folks for a cook out at my place. With 4 EGGS we have plenty to cook with.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    TJinBham, Yahoooo..good to see old buzzards returning to the roost. Now if we can just keep JJ from hogging the forum. heeee!!! Welcome back Terry and I see your active just like me. Landscaping, plants, shrubbery, garden, and spearmint plants to make JJ's mint julips! Not much time for the fun stuff..Cya later..C~W[p]
  • TJinBham
    Options
    JJ,
    When, where,...I'll bring any refreshments you don't make. hehehe

• TJinBham
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Good to hear from you old friend. Not off the roost, just leting the young rosters crow. hehehe

• JJ
    Options
    Q%20setup.jpg
    <p />TJinBham,
    Anytime you want. Place will be my house in Funtersville. I have the necessary equipment to handle it.

• JJ
    Options
    Q%20setup.jpg
    <p />JJ,
    TJ that should have read Guntersville, AL

• TJinBham
    Options
    JJ,
    Hell, I knowed that! Recone my cinco de miyo margaritas havenn't worn off yet.. probably cause I ain'nt stopped drinking em yet! hehehe

• JJ
    Options
    TJinBham,
    You got that right. Some have all of 1 year experience cooking on the EGG. Damn they consider our 20+ yrs cooking on the EGG as we know nothing. They even consider our over 50 yrs Q'n as not near as good as their 2 yrs Q'n experience. Some do not even own an EGG but give all kinds of advice and condemnation.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    JJ,[p]Relax. Don't get your panties all up in a bunch. Everyone respects your 50+ years of Qin. Ya gotta just roll with the punches a little and have some fun. As was posted earlier, all ye old sages just need to sit back and watch some of the newbies post every now and then and fumble around with what you know is trivial. Take solace in your superiority and enjoy![p]Cornfed
  • TJinBham
    Options
    JJ,
    I never got any dummer that betwen my 16th and 21st birthday. Hell, I thought I thew it all! Sometimes the love is in the learning. (thanks Dad).
    Don't take it personal. (but I do know what ha mean.hehehe)[p]

• JJ
    Options
    Cornfed,
    We old sages have no problem setting and watch you newbies post. In fact, we really enjoy it and encourage you to do the posts. We just do not appreciate the comments that we have no idea what we are talking about. Additionally, there have been some extremely rude comments to brand new EGG owners for their comments from some of you newbies. Us old sages welcomed you with open arms now the newbies are beig blasted by ya'll.

• Cornfed
    Options
    JJ,[p]I hope you're generalizing since we both know that I've never hinted that any of the "sages" have no idea what they're talking about. Also, we both know I've never "blasted" any new people; I'm still new to the forum myself! That being said, let's try and be adults here and talk about Qin. No illegal death threatening emails are necessary to settle arguments among adults. It's hard to Q from behind bars![p]Cornfed
  • JJ
    Options
    Cornfed,
    You have just made some comments that you can not back up.

• Cornfed
    Options
    JJ,[p]Sorry for offending you. Let's be adults and leave it at that. Every reader of the forum will be better off. No threatening emails are necessary, let's just get back to Qin! I've learned so much from your efforts and look forward to learning much more! I'm sure you agree that local authorities need not be involved in discussions about cooking on the Big Green Egg![p]Respectfully yours,
    Dave (aka - Cornfed)

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Cornfed,
    But the mini would work GREAT behind bars. They just shine in a small environment. Poy-fect![p]On a lighter note...used my newly-obtained hickory char crust on the sirloin tip roast last night. Was VERY tasty. It was about a 1.5 lb roast and that damn thing got to 140 internal in about 45 minutes. I was expecting almost twice that. The microwave saved me with the sweet potatoes. But the popovers were dessert! Is that exceptionally fast or were my (GASP) sources incorrect on the original time estimate you think?

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]What dome temp were you cooking at and was it direct or indirect? [p]If you were direct and at grilling temps - I believe it. Its just like searing a large steak.[p]Tell more.[p]Tim
  • Unknown
    Options
    MollyShark carries on conversation with self:
    You dork! What? You're a dork! Why say you that? Because you wrote down the times for a 2.5 lb roast and you actually cooked a 1.5 lb roast. THAT's why it didn't take as long. Makes sense! Sheesh. Next time drink the wine WITH dinner...not before. sniff.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    MollyShark,
    I want to hear more about the popovers. Did you do them on the egg? JCA

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    TJinBham,
    Hey, Terry, I just wanted to say how nice it is to "see" you. Bone appétit! Julie

• King-O-Coals
    King-O-Coals Posts: 510
    Options
    JJ, I was racking my tiny brain for a second there. I was trying to put together some type of inside joke about "fun", or something. I didn't realize the real typo until you pointed it out.