Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Nomex

FatMikeFatMike Posts: 464
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Replace my gasket a month ago and used super 77 and ran the gasket through the dryer 3 times to shrink..applied glue to the gasket and base(rim of both), let it cure for several days..did several low and slows to season and now, I have a gap about 1/4 in that leaks where the two meet and I'm chasing the loose gasket all the way around the top and bottom applying glue after each cook. I made sure I didn't stretch the gasket when I put it on. With that said, I'm out of options and gonna pull that thing off and figure I will have one less thing to worry about..sure beats anti-anxiety meds from trying to keep it on..lol

Love, peace, and pork butt grease,

Mike

Comments

• I have done a number of gasket jobs and each time the 3M Super 77 worked great. No shrinkage or gaps, nothing came loose. I did make sure to completely clean off the rim of the egg first, using mineral spirits to get the old adhesive off and then using sandpaper to take it down to bare smooth ceramic. This allows a better bond of the 77 to ceramic. Maybe you still had some of the old tape, glue, or felt stuck on there?

And I wouldn't worry about 1/4" gap. You can use that to feed in your meat and temp probe lines. :-)

Good luck!