Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt\Lump Issue

Options
UKBradC
UKBradC Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The last two times I have done a long pork butt smoke, the lump directly above the grate burns, but none along the sides does. The best way to describe it is that it burns a cylindrical hole in the middle. I was not meticulous in my arrangement of the lump the first time, but the second time I took great care in the way it was arranged per the instructions I found on this blog. Any ideas to why this is happening?

Thanks!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Are you lighting it in multiple spots, or just in the center? Try lighting in 3 spots near the outer edge of the lump pile.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Someone hear the other day said it worked well to light the lump just above the vent opening.

I just did a for almost 24 hours and did as suggested and then lit another spot at about the 10:00 position. My Egg always burns toward the 2:00 position. I think that has to do with the position of the vent and airflow...the suggestion stands to reason...I just wish I could figure some of this stuff out on my own. But I don't. :blink: