Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick question about daisy wheel/bottom vent..

Options
Roanokesmoke
Roanokesmoke Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In your experience, what is the most optimal way to increase the temp without burning through your charcoal too fast. In other words, say my egg is at 230 but I want to up the temp to 250. My bottom vent is about 1/4 inch open, and the daisy wheel is wide open. Previously, I would simply open the bottom vent more, but perhaps instead I should open the top vent more (all the way if need be before touching the bottom vent?) Or, would a combination of, say, a wide open top vent/damper and a barely open bottom vent result in egg cooling? (head escaping without enough air coming through the bottom vent).

I hope this all makes sense...any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    It doesn't really matter where the daisy is if the lower vent is choked down. I do a proportional thing with the daisy in case of snow or rain. If you are oped 1/4" on the lower vent you should be over 230*. Usually the width of a quarter will result in 250*

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    I would leave the top where it is and just open the bottom damper a little more. Just a sliver, maybe another 1/16 inch.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    It doesn't really matter where the daisy is if the lower vent is choked down. I do a proportional thing with the daisy in case of snow or rain. If you are oped 1/4" on the lower vent you should be over 230*. Usually the width of a quarter will result in 250*

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

If you have enough lump in the egg, it will never cool as long as vents are open, you can reach upwards of 1,100° so be careful.

You said daisy well wide open than open it more. The DFMT (daisy) consists of a slider and pedals.

You can open the pedals full, then the slider full then completely remove the DFMT and you will have there different 'high' temperatures for each move.

Maybe this will be of some help [url=http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=670088&catid=1
    ]Visual Guide to Vent Settings[/url]

When you get time you may also want to mouse around here
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=817979&catid=1

GG
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Only one of your vents is controlling the temperature.

Either the bottom vent is controlling air in OR the DFMT is controlling airflow out.

Hypothetically you can make changes to the one that is not controlling and not affect your temps at all. For example, you could have the bottom vent wide open, and the daisy petals open 1/16". The temps will be controlled by the daisy in this situation. Conversely, you could have the DFMT off and the bottom vent open 1/4" - the bottom vent would be in control. Then let's say you put the DFMT on but open the slider all the way. Your temps aren't going to change.

These examples are extreme, but hopefully you'll understand that only one or the other is in control. Micro adjustments to one or the other may or may not have any effect. You have to change the one in control - and not change it so much that the other one is then in control. Make sense? It does to me, but I've been drinking beer for 4 hours.
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Fidel, it make perfect since to me also. One thing I would like to add-patience! When you do make a small adjustment give it time to have an affect or you will be chasing the temps. Mike
  • you can control the egg with the daisy by itself, the bottom by itself, or a combination of both.

thing is, even when you think you are controlling it with both, it's really just one of them that is in charge, and the other is too open. unless they are exactly the same

whatever works for you is the best.