Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone done a Pork Roast?

Options
Eggston
Eggston Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My husband bought a 2.5 lb pork roast and I have no idea how to cook it on the egg. I just know it can get real tough if you mess up. :pinch:

Comments

• BayouMark
    Options
    Cook it 400 indirect to 135 internal. Pull and let rest for 10 mins. Here's a pic of a butterfly roast loin.

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

Geaux Saints!!
  • Eggston
    Options
    Perfect. Is that a large BGE? We have a medium and sometimes I can't get the rack on - lid won't close.

Tks
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Here are a couple that I've done: one stuffed with cran/apple dressing; another just with a blanket of bacon. I could not NOT dry out pork on my gasser - ever. Never had that problem with my egg! Indirect at 375 or so with drip pan.
    e7e9f43a.jpg
    30145adc.jpg
  • Eggston
    Options
    Tks. I'm going to try it.

One fellow Vt'er to another. :laugh:
  • WWSis
    Options
    Where do you live? There aren't too many of us out here!
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Mark,

When you temp the roast, are you putting gage into meat only, or to center of the roast? I also dried one of these bad boys out to shoe leather even though I had temp gage in meat (dont remember what temp I was targeting, may have been too high, before I learned the joy of pork at 138F :P ).

They look nice in meat case, but would personally hesistate to try again.

Dave in Keller, TX
  • Eggston
    Options
    I am in Stowe. Just over the mountain from you.
  • the only thing that'll make it tough is to overcook it.

140-145 and then take it off and foil it.

indirect heat, say 375, even 400 is good
    did one last night, but i doan take no pics no mo'
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You can get great results by cooking at 250* to 140 internal. Wrap and rest. Really moist meat like that.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WWSis
    Options
    Very nice! :) Now I know who to call when we decide to do a snowfest! :laugh: :laugh:
  • SteveinTN
    Options
    we did a bone and loved it. we used a brine for the first time.

Egg set up indirect
    - use ½ red cup apple chips

Three stage cook
    - first set up for a hot cook to sear @ 450 for 20 min
    - next remove from egg and let rest for 30 min
    - lower egg temp to 300 degrees
    - cook to 130-135 internal
    - pull and let rest 30 min then carve

480792ad.jpg

on plate
    7a3d30a2.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Oh man... This is going to be one of the best cooks you can do.

Your first one, don't worry about stuffing, injecting just cook it.

Do an easy preparation cover the meat in mustard then season heavily. Use your favorite rub or even just light salt and a good amount of crushed pepper.

Make absolutely sure you cook it to meat temperature and it will be juicy, flavorful and a fantastic meal. BayouMark above gave you the temperature to pull and then foil and rest. You want the meat to get to 140° - 145° during the rest. That is a small roast, I am thinking I woudl pull at 140°, foil and rest. Carve at the table when serving and those juices on the plate, pure heaven.

If you overcook a pork roast continue cooking until it gets to 195° - 200° and pull the meat. It will again be juicy and good.

Sliced pork or pulled pork, both great eats.

GG
  • MississippiCoastEgg
    Options
    I actually did one and used the TREX method like a steak and it was unbelievable, just thought I would try it and don't know why but it was very very good..... seared it and then cooked it at 400 to an internal of 140, it was great.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Great idea, I need to give that a try. I loves sliced pork roast.

Kent