Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked Beans

Options
BoneDaddy's
BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK folks, I have just 3 months to perfect a baked bean recipe for a very large comp....Who can help me out?

Frank
Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans
    3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
    2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
    1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
    1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
    1 can apple pie filling
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 green pepper, chopped
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
    1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
    1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)
    Brown bacon, and sauté onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.
    This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. This is my standard for baked beans anymore.
    *This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.
    Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
    Lately, I've been using two of the 28-oz cans of Bush's Original Baked Beans - I think I'm going to try it with the new Honey variety next. Happier with the results with these. -kc
    Another update... Jack's Old South does something similar to this, but I understand that they use peach pie filling instead.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I don't know if I can help but I'll try. That's one thing I have a lot of confidence in.

I use the grilling beans but before they came out with them, I just used regular pork n beans.

Everything I do is not measured so you'll just have to use your judgement.

8 strips of wrights bacon
    1 Medium yellow onion
    1 Large can of beans
    Worchestershire sauce
    Yellow mustard
    Ketchup
    Kosher salt
    Fresh cracked pepper

In a cast iron skillet, fry the bacon until crispy. Remove and set aside. If it renders too much fat I pour some out and leave enough to sautee the onion. Chop the onion medium corse and add it to the bacon grease. Cook it until it is soft but not carmalized. Add the beans to the skillet. Now for the guess work. I usually give the worchestershire 7 or 8 good shakes into the beans, then a good squirt or 2 of mustard. The ketchup gets 2 or 3 good squirts. Add about a table spoon each of kosher salt and cracked pepper.

Fold everything together and put the skillet in a 350 degree egg with some hickory chunks until bubbly and some of the liquid evaporates. After the first 15 minutes give it a taste test and adjust ingredients as needed. Be careful adding salt as it will show up later if you add too much.

When it is about done (45 min), crumble the bacon and sprinkle over the top, back on the egg for a few minutes. I serve the beans right out of the c/i skillet. It presents well.

BTW I've been making these beans since before I got an egg so needless to say, the oven works just fine. Just don't put wood chunks on the burners. It makes a mess in the oven. :laugh: :laugh:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I agree with Keri Hogs, just prefer cheeries.

BEANSCHERRY.jpg
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    I have no company to cook for, but this recipe screams to be made. Think I'm havin beans. Thanks for the post. :)