Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef tenderloin

Stog
Stog Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've found a great sale on whole beef tenderloin and want to try one on my egg...any ideas?

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Do them a Lot! 350 dome til 125-130 IT for rare/med rare.I like to coat em in S/P and perpared horseradish.YUM!!!Oh yeah let rest AT LEAST 10 mins before slicing. ;)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Unless your cooking for a group (even if you are) I would cut it into steaks and slow roast at 400 until the meats temp is 100-110 and then pull it off and open the vents till you get to 550+ and throw the meat back on and finish.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I really wish I liked Horsy sauce. :(
  • Hoss
    I HATE Horsey sauce,but I LOVE pure prepared horseradish! ;) Huge difference. :)
  • Adam, I guess I'm just gonna have to TRY the reverse sear. :laugh:

I've always been a TRex sorta guy, but since I did a whole tenderloin recently with a reverse sear, I'm going have to try it on a steak.

I think if I put my small CI grid on the spider, roast my steak at 400ish, then just drop it on the hot CI, I won't even have to wait long since the CI will be so close to the lump it will already be seriously hot!

When I do the front end sear, the temp only goes up about 10* (a 90 sec per side sear), so pulling at about 100-110* should get me a 125* med rare steak (before the rest).

I will let you know how it goes!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC06558JPGajpgb.jpg

Here's one idear.... Clean them up and remove the chain muscle (it's easy to find and remove), then decide on the size of the roast to cook.

Seasoning needs to be a little on the heavy side, but not enough to be overpowering. I start mine off with an indirect set-up around 275° until the internal is 100°. Then I pull it off, remove the heat shield and let the pit ramp up to 400°. This takes about 15 minutes. The tenderloin goes back on with a raised direct set-up until it reaches my target temp. During this time I rotate enough to get a nice color on the outside. I rest about 10 minutes.

The second part of the cook can be done with the grate in the normal position, but your window for perfection is shorter that using a raised grate.

DSC09704a.jpg

DSC09724a.jpg

DSC09734a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Man, I was just going send up a thirdeye flair.....wondering where you've been or maybe it's where I've been.

I was at Sam's recently and almost picked up a full Prime grade tenderloin for $10.50 a pound.....Man, I had to think hard to pass on it.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Wayne,

What do you do with the chain muscle?

I've been using your lifters and wiggle rods - very handy.

Richard
  • Hoss
    Do NOT let it happen again!!! ;)
  • Cobra
    Cobra Posts: 110
    Alton Brown has a good recipe for Philly cheese steak's using the chain. I havent tried it yet, but have the chain in the freezer waiting. If you are sure to use all the possible meat on the whole tenderloin, its makes it more justifiable to buy a whole one. Other than being able to cook a filet better than any steak house in town on the BGE.
  • take a look at this link. i have done several salt crusted this year and love them!!!!!

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=765397&catid=1#