Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time adjustment for 2 pork butts?

Options
texasAUtiger
texasAUtiger Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have only done one pork butt which was 8 lbs or so and took about 15-16 hrs. Well I want to do two 8 lbers tonight for the super bowl gathering tomorrow. How much extra time (if any) should I allot in the cook time?

Also, last time when I took the butt off I wrapped it in foil then towels and put it in a cooler to rest for about 1.5 hrs. Is there a range of acceptable times for it to rest like this? Is 3 hrs resting too long?

Thanks!

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Options
    As long as they are not touching, it shouldn't take much more cooking time. Just check their temps independantly and pull off when they hit your temp.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've held a wrapped butt taken off at 200 for 5 hours, and the internal temp was still well in the safe zone, 160 degrees. I did have a 2 qts. of bottled hot water in the cooler with the butt.

Do punch a thermometer through the foil after a few hours to see how the temperature is holding.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    The only thing you may notice is that it might take a little longer for the egg to get back up to temp because you've doubled the cold mass you put in there at the beginning. If you had it stablized leave it alone and it'll get there.
    I also don't think touching each other has a big effect, unless they're leaning on each other because the butts start to shrink and pull away from each other.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Internal temp means NOTHING in this scenario.

The exterior temp of the meat and the ambient temps in the cooler are what matter. Monitor those and once they dip below 140&deg you are in the "danger zone". This is where bacteria are going to multiply, not deep down in the center of the meat.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    good advice, all I could add is if using a meat probe, stick the smaller butt first. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.