Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

mustard pork butts

does mustard help hurt or indifferent on pork butts?

Comments

• WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    indifferent..
  • Well it's indifferent in that it doesn't, in itself, change the flavor or texture at all.

However, folks claim that it HELPS in that keeps the rub on the meat once you put it on the Egg rather than the rub just falling off.

Honestly, I use the mustard.......but I wouldn't have a personal opinion one way or the other simply because I have always used mustard. Not saying it does what they say, just saying I wouldn't know if it didn't. LOL.

Confused yet? :ohmy:
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,907
    I like to mix it with my rub rather than use mustard and then the rub. In addition to holding the rub on the meat, some folks say that the vinegar helps the meat break down.
  • I did one with and one without yellow mustard. The one with yellow mustard was preferred over the plain one. The one with mustard also "seemed" more moist. Like other posters have mentioned, you do not taste mustard. It is a way to hold the spices/rub in place during the cook.
  • This is helpful, thanks
  • Mustard also contributes to a nice bark.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • yeah buying one today to try this out tomorrow.