Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HOW to heat bbq by boiling in water

SteveinTN
SteveinTN Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
please give me more basic details on the reheat...

- put in boiling water?
or
- put it in the water while you bring it to a boil?

how long do you boil?

Thanks steve

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    What type of meat, how is it packaged and is it frozen or not?
  • thanks for your help
    pulled pork, vac sealed, unfrozen
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This should ahelp.

How to, Reheating Liquids ~ The Poll Results, Thirdeye

Thanks everyone for giving up your secrets....Here is a summary showing which liquids folks add to meats when reheating. Some information is from my cookin' notes, some from interviews, podcasts, cookbooks or magazine articles and the most recent is from the poll question I posted on 3 Q sites. The most popular responses are listed first in each list.

PORK BUTT
    Apple juice + cooking juice
    Apple juice + chicken broth
    Coca-Cola
    Apple juice + cooking juice + cider vinegar
    Coca-Cola + chicken broth
    Coca Cola + BBQ sauce
    Apple juice
    Apple juice + cider vinegar
    Dr. Pepper + cooking juice
    RC Cola + sauce
    Fruit nectars
    Brisket
    BBQ sauce + cooking juice
    Beef broth + BBQ sauce
    BBQ sauce + water
    Coca-Cola
    BBQ sauce + beer
    BBQ sauce (1/3) + Beef stock (2/3) + cooking juice
    Beef broth + Au Jus mix
    BBQ BEEF (chuck or clod)
    Beef broth + BBQ sauce + cooking juice
    Cooking juice + BBQ sauce
    Beef broth + BBQ sauce
    Beef broth + Coca-Cola
    Beef broth + coffee
    BBQ sauce (1/3) + Beef stock (2/3) + cooking juice
    BBQ sauce + Apple juice
    Beef broth + BBQ sauce + cider vinegar
    Coca-Cola

Comments
    1 Cooking juice was mentioned often. This generally referred to juices collected in the foil during the resting period, not juices collected if meats were cooked in foil or in pans. De-fatting the juice was not mentioned very often, the exception was de-fatting juices when meats were COOKED in pans or foil.
    2 Coca-Cola & apple juice are used a lot too, both straight and as an added ingredient.
    3 When BBQ sauce is used it is thinned out with another liquid. Mostly it is to add flavor, but some adjust the thickness to make the pulled meats "sticky" so they hang on a bun better.
    4 Vinegar was not mentioned as often as I thought it would be either.
    5 Only about 25% added dry seasonings after pulling the beef or pork.

Recipe Type
    Help

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Thirdeye, 2007/10/13
  • SteveinTN,

Simmering water like for poached egg.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Like Little Steven said. Leave it in the vac bag and simmer away.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Just bring a pot of water to a simmer and throw in the UNOPENED bag til it is hot throughout.5-10 minutes.Remove UNOPENED bag from pot of water,open,treat as fresh polled pork. :)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    don't want to second guess you too much here, but when you said unfrozen did you mean it had been frozen and now it is thawed? If not previously frozen how long has it been in the bag?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thanks for the info

would you also add a frozen bag of BBQ? Or should you defrost first as i had planned.

goood info
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Don't add the frozen bag. thaw it out under running water(cold) and then simmer it. Actually thawing it shouldn't matter since it is already cooked. I would add the frozen to the water and slowly bring the water to a simmer until it is thawed. Then add the already thawed bag and simmer for approx 10 min
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    c558df80.jpg

I set my Nesco roasters at 200° which is just below boiling for my elevation and let the water warm up. Then I add the bags of pork or beef and use the roasting rack to place on top as a weight. Then I put the lid down.

Depending on their state of thaw I could allow an hour to 2 hours for them to come up to heat. If they are hot before I'm ready I just back off the cooker to 150°.

DSC06501JPGa.jpg

68d57132.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    BRILLIANT!...as usual.I've got a huge elec roaster that I NEVER use.Looks like I'm gonna have to dig it out now! ;)
  • Thanks
    that is a level of detail that will even let someone like me from tennessee - understand!!!

thank you
    steveinTn
  • i would typically freeze within 24 hours of the cook. if i remove a bag from the freezer it would have been defrosted in the frig over night or in a cold pan of wer. so my thoughtgs were to try the boil method to reheat vs oven or microwave.

thanks