Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Burn or Not To Burn

Options
ray356
ray356 Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my LBGE for maybe eight months and cooked many very good meals with it. I did my pre-purchase research using this site, along with others, and have continued to lurk here learning something new each time I log on - a BIG THANK YOU to all here. Anyway finally to my question - I have read here about cleaning the egg by doing a high temp burn and was wondering is that necessary? Does everyone do this from time to time, or just keep cooking? I also am afraid of toasting the gasket, which has held up great to this point.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    I sometimes finish off a high-temp cook by letting it burn @ 750° or higher until it uses up the lump. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

There is a gradual accumulation of soot on the inside of the dome. Sometimes the soot will flake off and land on or in whatever you are cooking. So I try to keep that to a minimum. One way is to ball up some HD foil and rub it around inside the dome. It seems to knock off most of the loose soot.

Personally, I don't see a big reason for a 'clean burn' but I do it, mostly to clean the grid or get rid of some old lump.

I'm sure others will share their thoughts.

Spring "Clean Enough For The Chicken Ranch" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Grilling Away in ?
    Options
    It is not necessary to do a high temp burn to "clean" an egg. It will take care of itself when you get it up to high temps for steaks and sears and etc. You may want to let the high temp cook go a few extra minutes every now and then if you do a lot of low to medium temp cooks of fatty meats but it is not really necessary.
  • field hand
    Options
    Agree with the above comments. Most of our cooking is below 400*. When we do cook steaks at higher temps, we let it go for a few minutes after we pull them, also put the daisy wheel inside to clean it while we let the temp go up. Worked ok so for. JMHO.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If I've done a bunch of lo-n-slos in a row, I often notice flakes of creosote clumping around the top vent. Also, I may do a string of rather greasy cooks, and the inside of the Egg gets a rather, ahem, distinct aroma. So when I have about 1/3 of a load of lump left, I just open the bottom wide and take the daisy off. After cool down, there is just some soot to scrape off.

I did damage a gasket from cleaning, but not the way I expected. The inside edges had become rather gunked up, and I shaved a lot of that off. Within the next month, everywhere I had shaved, the gasket began to burn. Turns out the crusty stuff was protecting the felt, and keeping the hot gasses from getting thru.
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Welcome,

Hi-temp burn is not necessary.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I don't do it, at least not on purpose. -RP
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    I have never felt compelled to do a high heat burn, seems to be pretty self cleaning to me
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Five minutes or so after a hi-temp cook works for me. I also put the daisy wheel inside for this quick cleaning burn. Always did the same thing on my gasser, especially after cooking chicken or other greasy critters that ten to gunk up everything. :P

Capt. Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    I did it one time and the gaskets melted together. Needless to say, I haven't done a high temp burn in quite a while but I do open the top and bottom vent when the charcoal is almost out after a cook if it's been a long time since I've cleaned the ashes out outside the fire box.
  • Purpose
    Options
    Been wondering about this myself.

Given that it seems to kill the gasket (and that does not seem to be a quick repair), in no rush to do this if not necessary

thanks
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I second AZRP's comments...I don't do it unless it was an accident. Haven't found it necessary. However I a also a neat freak so I always brush off my grid, clean my table, accessories and brush down the platsetter, etc after each use. I don't see the need personally; The one time I did get crazy I used oven cleaner and it worked adequately.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Recently I was "organizing" which with my Egg table gently cradled in a snowbank seems harder than expect I noticed alot of black crud flaking off in the dome. I think that I may have had something to do with the 3 butts, prime rib, fatty beef ribs, boatload of chicken thighs....fatty cooks at lower temps.

Then steaks followed by pizza burned the crud up and I ran a crumpled up piece of aluminum foil, now there's black crud flakes all over the table and in the snow, but not on my food! :woohoo: