Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Purchase of A Big Green Egg

Mr. Matt
Mr. Matt Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello there I am new to this forum and I have a few questions:
I have a famiy of 5 and grill for my mother, sis and bro-in-law on weekends (weather permitting). What size egg do you guys recommend I get LBGE or XLBGE? Would you buy a BGE from a distributor on Craigslist? Should I wait for Eggfest in May (Austin, TX) to get one at a discount / would that void the warranty? Does anybody reccomend a retailer / distributor in the San Antonio, TX area?
Are $750 and $999 good prices for the LBGE and XLBGE respectively?
Sorry about all the questions but any help and additional advice would be greatly appreciated!
I have been peeking my nose in these forums for a couple of weeks now and thanks you fine people I am convinced on buying one!

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You don't need an Xl unless you are in the class of "bigger is better" The Large will be fine.

If the Craig's list Dealer was an authorized dealer I probably would.

The prices you quote are fair.

Eggfest eggs come with the warranty.
  • I have a large and a small. I will soon be adding a medium. I would go with the large. I have not run into a problem trying to feed too many people with a large. I would buy from a dealer. You get the warranty with it. Those prices don't sound too bad. If you could wait, I would get an egg at an Eggfest. You still get the warranty with it and it will save about 20%. Usually at an eggfest, you will get the nest with it. On the other hand, you will miss out on a lot of good cooking between now and May. You could have the learning curve past your belt and get cooking some really good food this summer. Good Luck. Post pics.

ee
  • An Eggfest is a great place to pick up a 'used' Egg for a good price, but there's also something to be said for buying through your local dealer. If you develope a relationship with them by becoming a customer they will appreciate you more. For one thing, all Eggheads become 'salespeople' for BGE soon after they buy one and start sharing food from it. When someone asks where they can get an Egg just tell them your dealer's name and that you sent them.

Lawn Ranger lives in San Antonio and speaks highly of Sunset Ridge Home & Hardware on New Braunfels.

As for the Texas Eggfest, hope to see you there.

Spring "Uncompensated Egg Salesman" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • $750 and$999 are standard retail prices in Texas (at least in Houston). If eggineric is correct, and the "discount" at Eggfest is 20%, why not drive on over to Houston. Bering's Hardware has their winter sale and gives 20% off on new ones.

As you can imagine, this question comes up quite often on the forum. I would estimate that 90% of the folks recommend the Large over the XL. I have a Large and, recently, got a Medium - not for added capacity, but mainly for cooking items with different heat requirements.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope to see you in Austin, May 1.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Mr. Matt, Welcome to the forum. :) I hope you get an egg soon. Have you ate food off the BGE? Some BGE dealers in my area cook on their demo eggs on Saturday. You can also ask the dealer if they have a demo egg for sale it may save you some cash. It may be used once or twice but it comes with the warranty intact. ;) Tim
  • I bought an Eggfest egg last year, and saved a good amount of money. May is a long time though...
  • I have a Large and 2 Med. If you can't make it over to Houston as VI suggest above,I would look for a Med on CL and wait for Eggfest and save the extra bucks to use for accessories. You may think I am crazy, but you will get hooked and 1 will not be enough!
  • I found a distributor on Craigslist in Austin that sells the LBGE for $600 and discounts his accessories. I think I will have to take a day off next week to pick one up! Thanks to all of you!
  • 2Fategghead
    Alright! Go for it if the feeling is right! ;) Tim
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    MrMatt be sure that Austin Cregs List guy can give a warranty.

I have a large,small and mini. The large is the way to start ( you will add more )....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• You know that is one thing I did not ask him... Thanks for the heads up! Are repairs through RMA or can I take a defective part to any authorized dealer?
  • 2Fategghead
    When you make the purchase you will get a receipt from the authorized dealer and you will also get a warranty card to fill out and mail in to the mother ship. Then when you ever have problems you can call your dealer or the mother ship or any other dealer but always keep your receipt and your dealer will also give all your information to the mother ship. The seller must be an authorized dealer or you will not get a warranty. I assume the authorized dealer is advertising threw CL.

Don't take my word for it ask the seller what their business is called and ask if they are an authorized dealer. If you still have doubts call Bruce Bohanon at 770-938-9394 at corporate and leave a message and your cell number that way when he calls you back you will get the call because sometimes it may be the next day. Tim